Sep 1, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Under Armour wants to get a foothold in the baskeball shoe market — they have a rising star in Stephen Curry under contract, plus some other guys like Kemba Walker and Brandon Jennings. But they swung for the fences this summer offering Kevin Durant at least $265 million over 10 years, which Nike has matched (sort of, it’s a modified offer) to keep KD with the swoosh.
I think we need to ask if Iguodala really has a shot here, first. Halle Berry is still married and living most of the time in France with her husband, at least according to my cursory Web search on this topic. So that’s a couple big strikes against Iguodala. But she did marry an athlete before, former baseball star David Justice (she also dated Heavy D and Wesley Snipes, among others).
I don’t know that KD was all that far from going to Under Armour. Sure, what he and Roc Nation Sports really wanted (and got) was more money out of Nike but to continue the KD line. They got it. Well played. But if Nike hadn’t decided to match, would KD have really jumped?
It’s moot now. Kind of like Iguodala and Berry, I suspect.
(Hat tip to Eye on Basketball.)
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18