Sep 1, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Under Armour wants to get a foothold in the baskeball shoe market — they have a rising star in Stephen Curry under contract, plus some other guys like Kemba Walker and Brandon Jennings. But they swung for the fences this summer offering Kevin Durant at least $265 million over 10 years, which Nike has matched (sort of, it’s a modified offer) to keep KD with the swoosh.
I think we need to ask if Iguodala really has a shot here, first. Halle Berry is still married and living most of the time in France with her husband, at least according to my cursory Web search on this topic. So that’s a couple big strikes against Iguodala. But she did marry an athlete before, former baseball star David Justice (she also dated Heavy D and Wesley Snipes, among others).
I don’t know that KD was all that far from going to Under Armour. Sure, what he and Roc Nation Sports really wanted (and got) was more money out of Nike but to continue the KD line. They got it. Well played. But if Nike hadn’t decided to match, would KD have really jumped?
It’s moot now. Kind of like Iguodala and Berry, I suspect.
(Hat tip to Eye on Basketball.)
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 27
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 40
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4