Aug 31, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Last season in Atlanta Brand was thrust into a larger-than-expected role when Al Horford went down and he played solidly, particularly on defense where he was key. He didn’t put up big numbers (5.7 points and 4.9 rebounds a game) but he was efficient (.561 true shooting percentage). That said, against Indiana in the first round of the playoffs the Hawks went small (wisely) trying to space the floor and Brand’s role shrunk.
That was good enough for the Hawks to consider bringing him back, reports Chris Vivlamore at the Atlanta Journal Constitution (via Eye on Basketball).
The Hawks could add a 15th player before the start of training camp next month. They are in negotiations with unrestricted center Elton Brand, who played last season with the team.
It’s not a signing that really moves the needle either way, but if this is a veteran minimum deal and Brand is used as he was at the start of last season — which is to say, sparingly, only in certain match ups — then this is a solid pickup. Brand would be good in the locker room and can still do some things on the court, you just don’t want to lean on him like the Hawks had to last season (he started 15 games).
It’s something to watch, but it would not be a bad get for the Hawks.
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 6
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 11
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 7