USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55

Aug 30, 2014, 7:00 PM EST

Anthony Davis, Teemu Rannikko Anthony Davis, Teemu Rannikko

Well, the crowd from Finland was impressive — roughly 8,000 Finnish fans cheering on their team.

But it gets really quiet when 8,000 people go silent.

That happened in the second quarter when Finland shot 0-of-17 from the floor and the USA won the quarter 29-2 on their way to the expected thrashing of Finland in both team’s World Cup openers, 114-55. The USA shot 58.9 percent for the game, compared to 27.7 percent for Finland, which could not deal with the American’s defensive pressure.

Next up for the USA is Turkey on Sunday (ESPN 3:30 pm). That’s a rematch of the 2010 World Championship finals, but Turkey is a shell of that former team.

Saturday Klay Thompson scored 18 points and Anthony Davis had 17 to lead the USA. Every USA player got double-digit minutes and scored. DeMarcus Cousins came off the bench to grab 10 rebounds.

Among the bright spots for the USA was Derrick Rose looked the best he has since the Chicago exhibition game, scoring 12 points and having a couple vintage Rose drives. Rudy Gay also added 10 points.

FIBA is the world’s 39th ranked team and the lowest ranked team ever to get invited to the World Cup via a FIBA “wild card” invite. It showed on the court as the team started 0-of-13 from three and were down 31-16 after the first quarter — and that was Finland’s best quarter.

Finland is here because their fans travel well (good gate revenue for FIBA) and because Finnish company Rovio— you know them as the maker of the Angry Birds game, — offered FIBA free advertising. FIBA likes its money.

The fans seemed to enjoy themselves… for a quarter, anyway.

For the USA this was a nice start, but things get a little more serious on Sunday, against Omer Asik and the rest of the Turkish team. That still should be a comfortable USA win, but not quite Finland comfortable.

1. cantonb0und13 - Aug 30, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Hi guys. Long time no see…

• muhangis - Aug 31, 2014 at 2:40 AM

waddup ful

2. charlescub80 - Aug 30, 2014 at 8:04 PM

With most comments I see about Rose….I will only believe this game was played 3 years ago.

• chicitybulls - Aug 30, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Tell me about it. I don’t see those people that were saying he doesn’t belong on the team commenting here. And that’s the thing (well one of the things) that makes me mad about them. If/when he plays bad or rests or whatever they can comment but when they’re wrong they can’t man up. They have nothing to say. It’s just crazy.

• innovativethinking87 - Aug 30, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Nobody said he’s trash. He’ll be fine but trust me he won’t last. Brandon Roy didn’t last, Gilbert didn’t last, Greg Oden didn’t last, the list goes on and on..

Rose will be a tease for the next few months then eventually the inevitable will happen..

Lillard should have been picked over him. Rose is just using his name to use this tourney as rehab. Lillard was the scarficial lamb to get cut for him..

Rose will be hurt by all star break. Book it

• chicitybulls - Aug 30, 2014 at 10:30 PM

And if/when he’s not hurt by, as you say, the all star break then make sure you come back and say you were wrong.

I swear I do not understand this hatred/negativity towards Rose. It’s unwarranted. I mean he doesn’t get in trouble off the court. He’s not a jerk on the court. I’ve asked that questions plenty of times but have never gotten an answer. Maybe you can tell me.

And I’m not sure what your infatuation is with Lillard but he’s not what you’re making him out to be. He’s a good young point guard but not elite just yet. He has work to do. If you’re a Blazers fan then I get it. You’re trying to stick up for your guy. But even so, I’m sure if you ask most knowledgeable and realistic Blazers fans they’ll tell you the same.

• tomasekradek - Aug 31, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Man you’re antistratfordian Rose version, just chill.

• chicitybulls - Aug 31, 2014 at 1:09 PM

tomas, now that was a low blow. Lol. I just like good, reasonable sports talk. I know, I may be in the wrong place for that but I can try. :)

3. campcouch - Aug 30, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Omer Asik. Really.

4. polkhigh4life - Aug 30, 2014 at 9:36 PM

That’s the most ridiculous statement…. You’re talking about guys who have had multiple microfracture surgeries….multiple ligaments removed….meniscus’s removed….that’s like saying Peyton Manning will be paralyzed in 2 years cuz he had A type of neck surgery,…we get you’re sour.,,pick a new sport… Play checkers…you’re using baseless facts…you can’t compare heart transplants to Angioplasty…I ain’t buying you’re crap and no1 else should either…USE FACTS…or just continually look stupid….

5. polkhigh4life - Aug 30, 2014 at 9:40 PM

And stop the infatuation wit Lillard… He’s not on the team for a reason…ball hog no D.. Kyrie got picked over him…USA UP 3 when Rose came in…up 15 at the end of 1….thas why he’s there…Lillard…lol…one 2nd round exit from the playoffs makes you better than a former MVP…but I guess Rose was given tht award…

• dj3garrett - Aug 31, 2014 at 2:11 AM

I agree with everything you… Rose was given that award because everyone hated Lebron James… Rose had the best defensive team and one of the best benches that year… Lebron led his team in every statistical category and his best bench player was Chalmers because UD and Miller were hurt for a lot of the season…

• muhangis - Aug 31, 2014 at 2:44 AM

what does their bench players have to do with it? ..

6. mackcarrington - Aug 30, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Finland only plays basketball to stay in shape for skiing and ice skating.

7. steves4 - Aug 30, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Jesus, scores like this are why no one cares about international basketball until the US plays Spain. Even then it’s hard to drum up interest.

8. reeggss - Aug 30, 2014 at 10:35 PM

They really played Finland? I thought it was a mock headline

9. polkhigh4life - Aug 30, 2014 at 11:26 PM

The only thing I can understand why people hate him so much….Cowards….it’s apparently enjoyable to hate on an easy target…Rose is some1 every fan wishes they had…for your reasons and mine…good kid…not in and out of jail…doesn’t beat his girl…and had 2 unfortunate unlucky breaks….but when you have to back it up with valid points…radio silence,..then they’ll move on to another post and try to run from intelligent people who ask questions…and all the trolls live happily ever after…if Paul George was better or in a bigger market, he’d be the next one to trash..almost like a middle school bully…talk and run…Rose will never shut them up…because they’ll say the same things in 5 yrs even If he wins more mvp’s

• chicitybulls - Aug 31, 2014 at 3:31 PM

You’re absolutely right which is why they haven’t and wont respond to you. And I’m not so sure about PG. They may still hate on him too.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches