Aug 30, 2014, 12:11 AM EDT
France was already having a tough time of it this World Cup. The defending EuroBasket champions are without Tony Parker, Joakim Noah and a host of other key players from that tournament are taking this one off for France.
Now another blow: Center Ian Mahinmi has an injured shoulder and is out for the World Cup. Worse news for the Pacers is he could be out 2-3 months, which likely means most of training camp and likely into the start of the season.
Scott Agness of Vigilant Sports got confirmation of the news from the man himself.
“Yes, [the news is true],” Mahinmi wrote to VigilantSports.com early Friday. “I will be back in Indy sometime this week for (further) exam on my shoulder…”
Mahinmi felt a sharp pain in his left shoulder and then had an MRI later that afternoon, which revealed the injury was severe enough to keep him out of the FIBA World Cup, according to the French Federation of Basketball.
The Pacers have been some of the biggest supporters of their guys going out in international basketball, with former Team USA member and now Pacers president Larry Bird leading the way. But the Pacers have now lost Paul George (likely for the season) and now Mahinmi.
It’s already going to be a rough season for the Pacers. This doesn’t help matters any.
Mahinmi is a key rotation big man, coming in behind Roy Hibbert so the Pacers could use him. He’s had shoulder problems in the past, including at the end of last season. With this he’s not going to miss many if any games that matter, but it’s just another setback. But one the Pacers don’t need.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 3
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48