Aug 30, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
His statement will make twitter shake its collective head, because frankly that’s what twitter likes to do. Certainly nobody is going to confuse the demeanor of DeMarcus Cousins and Tim Duncan anytime soon.
That doesn’t mean Cousins isn’t inspirational. Cousins attitude and refusal to accept feeling wronged, to push through obstacles is why he got from a poor upbringing in Mobile, Alabama, all the way to Team USA (which tips off its World Cup bid Saturday).
Cousins told USA Basketball’s official site that drive from where he was to where he is now makes him a role model.
“I am a role model, absolutely. There are different types of people out there, and I come from a different type of place. So, I absolutely think I am a role model.
“I come from a place where there are not a lot of opportunities,” Cousins explained. “People there, they don’t ever really dream big because they don’t think it ever really exists. Like the things you see on TV, they think it’s just a false world. And them seeing me make it, they believe it is possible. Those people grew up with me; they have seen the struggles; they have seen me fight and work my way to where I am now, so I absolutely believe I am a role model.”
Role models are not one size fits all.
What will inspire you in your situation would seem silly or unrealistic to others. Situations are different. For some, Cousins’ rise and the attitude he needed to get there can be inspirational.
Even Cousins’ most ardent critics have to admit he has matured as he aged and experienced things (shocking how that happens).
If he can keep his feelings for the FIBA referees in check, and if he gets out and runs the court, he could play a bigger than expected role for Team USA. The fact is that against some of the Americans biggest hurdles — Lithuania, Spain — Team USA is going to need Cousins. And that fire he brings.
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 1
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 15
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 59
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8