Aug 30, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
His statement will make twitter shake its collective head, because frankly that’s what twitter likes to do. Certainly nobody is going to confuse the demeanor of DeMarcus Cousins and Tim Duncan anytime soon.
That doesn’t mean Cousins isn’t inspirational. Cousins attitude and refusal to accept feeling wronged, to push through obstacles is why he got from a poor upbringing in Mobile, Alabama, all the way to Team USA (which tips off its World Cup bid Saturday).
Cousins told USA Basketball’s official site that drive from where he was to where he is now makes him a role model.
“I am a role model, absolutely. There are different types of people out there, and I come from a different type of place. So, I absolutely think I am a role model.
“I come from a place where there are not a lot of opportunities,” Cousins explained. “People there, they don’t ever really dream big because they don’t think it ever really exists. Like the things you see on TV, they think it’s just a false world. And them seeing me make it, they believe it is possible. Those people grew up with me; they have seen the struggles; they have seen me fight and work my way to where I am now, so I absolutely believe I am a role model.”
Role models are not one size fits all.
What will inspire you in your situation would seem silly or unrealistic to others. Situations are different. For some, Cousins’ rise and the attitude he needed to get there can be inspirational.
Even Cousins’ most ardent critics have to admit he has matured as he aged and experienced things (shocking how that happens).
If he can keep his feelings for the FIBA referees in check, and if he gets out and runs the court, he could play a bigger than expected role for Team USA. The fact is that against some of the Americans biggest hurdles — Lithuania, Spain — Team USA is going to need Cousins. And that fire he brings.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30