DeMarcus Cousins: “I am a role model, absolutely”

Aug 30, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

DeMarcus Cousin DeMarcus Cousin

His statement will make twitter shake its collective head, because frankly that’s what twitter likes to do. Certainly nobody is going to confuse the demeanor of DeMarcus Cousins and Tim Duncan anytime soon.

That doesn’t mean Cousins isn’t inspirational. Cousins attitude and refusal to accept feeling wronged, to push through obstacles is why he got from a poor upbringing in Mobile, Alabama, all the way to Team USA (which tips off its World Cup bid Saturday).

Cousins told USA Basketball’s official site that drive from where he was to where he is now makes him a role model.

“I am a role model, absolutely. There are different types of people out there, and I come from a different type of place. So, I absolutely think I am a role model.

“I come from a place where there are not a lot of opportunities,” Cousins explained. “People there, they don’t ever really dream big because they don’t think it ever really exists. Like the things you see on TV, they think it’s just a false world. And them seeing me make it, they believe it is possible. Those people grew up with me; they have seen the struggles; they have seen me fight and work my way to where I am now, so I absolutely believe I am a role model.”

Role models are not one size fits all.

What will inspire you in your situation would seem silly or unrealistic to others. Situations are different. For some, Cousins’ rise and the attitude he needed to get there can be inspirational.

Even Cousins’ most ardent critics have to admit he has matured as he aged and experienced things (shocking how that happens).

If he can keep his feelings for the FIBA referees in check, and if he gets out and runs the court, he could play a bigger than expected role for Team USA. The fact is that against some of the Americans biggest hurdles — Lithuania, Spain — Team USA is going to need Cousins. And that fire he brings.

1. patfic5 - Aug 30, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Not yet big guy. Perhaps on your way…

2. provguard - Aug 30, 2014 at 4:16 PM

From the little I’ve seen of Cousins, he seems like a ad for anger management.

3. jimeejohnson - Aug 30, 2014 at 4:21 PM

He looks mighty good against Finland. Not that there’s anything wrong with that!

4. sportsfan18 - Aug 30, 2014 at 4:33 PM

I’ll give Cousins props for reacting really well two seasons ago when Chris Paul made the single worst (best) flop against Cousins and the Kings.

It was 2 seasons ago. 18 second Youtube video. just google

“chris paul flops against kings”

again, only 18 seconds long

Chris Paul isn’t the worst flopper in the league, but this was the single best flop ever….

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 30, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Yikes… I might have to agree. That’s one of the worst flops I’ve ever seen.

That’s why they need to stop fining & tweeting about players who flop and just start suspending them. And I’m not advocating a ton of suspensions, only for the absolute worst, most obvious flops like that one. I’m thinking a 1 game unpaid suspension per obvious flop should take care of it.

5. duhwighthoward - Aug 30, 2014 at 4:36 PM

“I come from a place where there are not a lot of opportunities”

SHUT UP IDIOT. YOU ARE FROM THE USA, THE RICHEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD.

• ecnuob51 - Aug 30, 2014 at 4:41 PM

You must’ve been very pampered as a child. You just don’t know how bad it is for some kids out there.

• duhwighthoward - Aug 30, 2014 at 4:57 PM

YOU’RE THE PAMPERED ONE. GO TO AFGHANISTAN OR SOMALIA AND TELL ME ABOUT OPPORTUNITY.

• muhangis - Aug 31, 2014 at 3:03 AM

You sound like you haven’t been out of the U.S. much, if ever. My guess is you haven’t. There are actualy a number of other countries with higher opportunities, or a GDP, than the U.S. Such as Norway, Singapore, Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Germany, and a host of others.

And have you ever visited or been in the ghetto? You see and understand how and why people don’t make it out of there even alive alot of the time. I ride the train through Compton everyday to get to work, and trust me there are no good jobs located there, the education and school system is extremely poor, and you see a vast most of the everyday people just stuck in a rut and deep.

I can imagine Mobile, AL a bit more rural in some parts, but very ghetto and low income (as Alabama is one of the least avg. salary income states in the U.S.) is even worse. A severe vast majority of these people are stuck where they are at and will never get out of it – the deep poverty – and consider yourself very lucky if you do!

• duhwighthoward - Aug 31, 2014 at 10:20 AM

I’ve traveled all over the world on my own dime and you have no idea how good you have it. I like how you cited Spain as having “higher opportunities.” Is that why there is 50% unemployment for people under the age of 30? Spaniards marvel at the opportunity here in the US.

I’ve spent a lot of time in Compton, Watts, Inglewood, Leimert Park, and other areas considered to be the “ghetto” in the Los Angeles. Tell me about how tough it is there, please. Because every house or apartment I’ve been in has at least one big screen TV. Most people own cars and go to the club every weekend. 50% of the people in the world can’t even dream of such opportunities, you fool!

No jobs in the ghetto? Not true at all. Many businesses purposely locate their businesses there to take advantage of lower cost per square foot. Anyways, if you don’t think there are enough, whose fault is that? The great thing about America is we have billionaires who started their companies in their own homes. Don’t act the people of the ghetto can’t hop on the train with you or drive their cars to work. That is the poorest excuse.

The USA is by far the richest country in the world and it’s not even close. If you can’t figure out how to get in on a piece of the pie, that’s your own damn fault.

• 24thesho - Aug 31, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Wow! You really are a fool, huh?

6. 88heatnation - Aug 30, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Opportunities are endless, A vision without action is merely a dream.

7. mackcarrington - Aug 30, 2014 at 6:13 PM

He can certainly model a tux really well.

8. sumkat - Aug 30, 2014 at 6:23 PM

A role model for how not to act?

9. ProBasketballPundit - Aug 30, 2014 at 6:27 PM

I’ve seen Role Models. He’s right; he’d fit in right beside Seann William Scott & Paul Rudd.

10. charlescub80 - Aug 30, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Then act like one ALL the time!

11. daveshingle - Aug 31, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Uhh? Duwight? You know that Cousins didn’t write this article and probably isn’t reading the comments section either so… Who are you talking to? Also there is plenty of poverty and hardship in The US.. So you’re the one that sounds ignorant.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches