Aug 30, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
The 76ers entered the 2014 NBA draft with an absurd five second-round picks, but after some draft-night wheeling-and-dealing, Philadelphia left the draft with… four second rounders.
It’s still a lot, and the 76ers must now figure out what to do with:
- No. 32 pick K.J. McDaniels
- No. 39 pick Jerami Grant
- No. 52 pick Vasilije Micic
- No. 58 pick Jordan McRae
McDaniels and Grant remain unsigned, though I expect them to both get contracts once Philadelphia is certain it can no longer use its cap space this offseason.
And McRae will play in Australia.
CTI Melbourne United have completed their inaugural roster for the 2014-15 NBL season, signing NBA Draftee Jordan McRae to their second import spot.
Presumably, the 76ers offered McRae the required tender and will keep his rights.
I’d hope Philadelphia helped land him this gig in that case. Otherwise, McRae should have taken the required tender, even if it were a one-year deal that saw him getting cut at the end of training camp. That way, he’d be an unrestricted free agent and could sign with any team if he plays well overseas.
As it probably stands, he can sign only with the 76ers, which is good for the 76ers.
They’re tanking so they won’t miss his (or anyone’s) contributions on the court this season. Instead, they can fill their roster with other prospects and have McRae developing elsewhere while not counting toward the roster limit. This increases their chances of unearthing a player who can contribute once they’re ready to be good.
Maybe that’s McRae, who spent four years at Tennessee and then played well in summer league. I have my doubts give his age (23) and lack of standout skill, but he’ll have a chance to prove himself Down Under.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 10
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 19
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14