Aug 30, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
The 76ers entered the 2014 NBA draft with an absurd five second-round picks, but after some draft-night wheeling-and-dealing, Philadelphia left the draft with… four second rounders.
It’s still a lot, and the 76ers must now figure out what to do with:
- No. 32 pick K.J. McDaniels
- No. 39 pick Jerami Grant
- No. 52 pick Vasilije Micic
- No. 58 pick Jordan McRae
McDaniels and Grant remain unsigned, though I expect them to both get contracts once Philadelphia is certain it can no longer use its cap space this offseason.
And McRae will play in Australia.
CTI Melbourne United have completed their inaugural roster for the 2014-15 NBL season, signing NBA Draftee Jordan McRae to their second import spot.
Presumably, the 76ers offered McRae the required tender and will keep his rights.
I’d hope Philadelphia helped land him this gig in that case. Otherwise, McRae should have taken the required tender, even if it were a one-year deal that saw him getting cut at the end of training camp. That way, he’d be an unrestricted free agent and could sign with any team if he plays well overseas.
As it probably stands, he can sign only with the 76ers, which is good for the 76ers.
They’re tanking so they won’t miss his (or anyone’s) contributions on the court this season. Instead, they can fill their roster with other prospects and have McRae developing elsewhere while not counting toward the roster limit. This increases their chances of unearthing a player who can contribute once they’re ready to be good.
Maybe that’s McRae, who spent four years at Tennessee and then played well in summer league. I have my doubts give his age (23) and lack of standout skill, but he’ll have a chance to prove himself Down Under.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 0
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 34
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38