Aug 29, 2014, 8:15 PM EST
Gustavo Ayon has played for four teams in his three NBA seasons, and finished last year as a member of the Atlanta Hawks. His numbers were underwhelming, but size is always given multiple chances at the professional level. So, even at 29 years of age, his 6’10″ frame was always going to continue to get some serious looks.
Ayon currently only has offers to play overseas next season, but he will be playing for Mexico in the FIBA World Cup which begins on Friday. A strong showing there could generate some newfound NBA interest, although one team reportedly has seen enough, to the point where adding Ayon for next season may be a real possibility.
From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:
Interesting rumble just dribbled in on eve of FIBA World Cup: Reigning champs San Antonio have registered interest in Mexico’s Gustavo Ayon
Spurs, I’m told, still determined to re-sign Aussie C Aron Baynes but also like Mexico’s Ayon, who’s among top free agents in FIBA World Cup
Baynes averaged 9.3 minutes per game in 54 regular season appearances for San Antonio last year, and appeared in 14 playoff games as well, where he averaged 7.2 minutes per contest.
If San Antonio believes Ayon could be an upgrade for some or all of those minutes, they may take a chance on him. And, it’s worth noting that it would be very Spurs-like to snatch him up before he has a chance to have even a single breakout performance in international play over the next couple of weeks.
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 1
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 8
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8
- Andrei Kirilenko leaves Nets for road trip, Lionel Hollins unsure if he’ll return 15