Aug 29, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
The Sterling name still rings proudly through the Clippers organization.
The NBA successfully ousted Donald Sterling as the Clippers owner following his leaked racist tapes, but to do so, the league’s other owners didn’t actually vote him out. Instead, they allowed his wife, Shelly Sterling, to sell the team to Steve Ballmer.
As condition of the sale, Shelly received:
- Up to 10 percent of the sale price and 10 percent of annual revenues to go into the the Shelly Sterling Foundation, which she’d run
- 2 courtside tickets for each game
- 10 tickets in other sections for each game
- 12 VIP passes for each game
- 3 championship rings if the Clippers win a title
- Two-year contracts for executives Gary Sacks, Carl Lahr and Eric Miller (Sterling’s son-in-law)
- Title of “Owner Emeritus”
- Title of “Clipper’s Number 1 Fan”
The “Clipper’s Number 1 Fan” is defending Donald:
“No, he doesn’t make racist comments. And that, I don’t even understand how she was baiting him.”
Personally, I’ve never been that interested in Donald’s racist comments, anyway. His racism that actually significantly affects lives should get more attention, but that’s obviously not where Shelly’s concern lies.
And she didn’t stop there.
Shelly, via Linda Deutsch of the Associated Press (emphasis mine):
Asked about his mental condition, she said, “He’s been a little better, a little sweeter and softer. Losing the team he loved was very hard on him,” she said. “But I’ll always feel it’s our team.”
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 3
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 29