Aug 29, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
The Sterling name still rings proudly through the Clippers organization.
The NBA successfully ousted Donald Sterling as the Clippers owner following his leaked racist tapes, but to do so, the league’s other owners didn’t actually vote him out. Instead, they allowed his wife, Shelly Sterling, to sell the team to Steve Ballmer.
As condition of the sale, Shelly received:
- Up to 10 percent of the sale price and 10 percent of annual revenues to go into the the Shelly Sterling Foundation, which she’d run
- 2 courtside tickets for each game
- 10 tickets in other sections for each game
- 12 VIP passes for each game
- 3 championship rings if the Clippers win a title
- Two-year contracts for executives Gary Sacks, Carl Lahr and Eric Miller (Sterling’s son-in-law)
- Title of “Owner Emeritus”
- Title of “Clipper’s Number 1 Fan”
The “Clipper’s Number 1 Fan” is defending Donald:
“No, he doesn’t make racist comments. And that, I don’t even understand how she was baiting him.”
Personally, I’ve never been that interested in Donald’s racist comments, anyway. His racism that actually significantly affects lives should get more attention, but that’s obviously not where Shelly’s concern lies.
And she didn’t stop there.
Shelly, via Linda Deutsch of the Associated Press (emphasis mine):
Asked about his mental condition, she said, “He’s been a little better, a little sweeter and softer. Losing the team he loved was very hard on him,” she said. “But I’ll always feel it’s our team.”
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13