Aug 29, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
The Sterling name still rings proudly through the Clippers organization.
The NBA successfully ousted Donald Sterling as the Clippers owner following his leaked racist tapes, but to do so, the league’s other owners didn’t actually vote him out. Instead, they allowed his wife, Shelly Sterling, to sell the team to Steve Ballmer.
As condition of the sale, Shelly received:
- Up to 10 percent of the sale price and 10 percent of annual revenues to go into the the Shelly Sterling Foundation, which she’d run
- 2 courtside tickets for each game
- 10 tickets in other sections for each game
- 12 VIP passes for each game
- 3 championship rings if the Clippers win a title
- Two-year contracts for executives Gary Sacks, Carl Lahr and Eric Miller (Sterling’s son-in-law)
- Title of “Owner Emeritus”
- Title of “Clipper’s Number 1 Fan”
The “Clipper’s Number 1 Fan” is defending Donald:
“No, he doesn’t make racist comments. And that, I don’t even understand how she was baiting him.”
Personally, I’ve never been that interested in Donald’s racist comments, anyway. His racism that actually significantly affects lives should get more attention, but that’s obviously not where Shelly’s concern lies.
And she didn’t stop there.
Shelly, via Linda Deutsch of the Associated Press (emphasis mine):
Asked about his mental condition, she said, “He’s been a little better, a little sweeter and softer. Losing the team he loved was very hard on him,” she said. “But I’ll always feel it’s our team.”
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 3
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48