Aug 29, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Pacquiao the coach has obviously realized he’ll need better players than just his 5-foot-6 self.
So, he’s courting Metta World Peace, formerly known as Ron Artest. (Do we call him The Pandas Friend yet?)
Pacquiao said if Artest’s schedule permits, he would talk him into playing in the PBA. He sounded so confident of his plan.
“Okay yun. Kaibigan ko yun (He’s my friend),” said Pacquiao of the 6-foot-7 star, who showed up in a press conference in Beverly Hills to announce the Filipino’s fight against Miguel Cotto in 2009.
“Kailangan namin ng magaling na import (We need a good import),” he added.
The big hang-up: World Peace/Pandas Friend has already struck a deal with the Sichuan Blue Whales in China. Does that contract have an out clause? Is Pacquiao comfortable waiting until the Chinese season ends?
There’s a lot to sort out, but Pacquiao is a congressman, for goodness sakes. If we can’t trust him to solve this crisis, who can we trust?
For World Peace/Pandas Friend, it must be nice to know how many suitors he has for his services – even if none of them are in the NBA. He’s certainly done well to boost his profile and lengthen his career.
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 7
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 19
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 5
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7