Aug 29, 2014, 10:00 AM EST
Pacquiao the coach has obviously realized he’ll need better players than just his 5-foot-6 self.
So, he’s courting Metta World Peace, formerly known as Ron Artest. (Do we call him The Pandas Friend yet?)
Pacquiao said if Artest’s schedule permits, he would talk him into playing in the PBA. He sounded so confident of his plan.
“Okay yun. Kaibigan ko yun (He’s my friend),” said Pacquiao of the 6-foot-7 star, who showed up in a press conference in Beverly Hills to announce the Filipino’s fight against Miguel Cotto in 2009.
“Kailangan namin ng magaling na import (We need a good import),” he added.
The big hang-up: World Peace/Pandas Friend has already struck a deal with the Sichuan Blue Whales in China. Does that contract have an out clause? Is Pacquiao comfortable waiting until the Chinese season ends?
There’s a lot to sort out, but Pacquiao is a congressman, for goodness sakes. If we can’t trust him to solve this crisis, who can we trust?
For World Peace/Pandas Friend, it must be nice to know how many suitors he has for his services – even if none of them are in the NBA. He’s certainly done well to boost his profile and lengthen his career.
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 0
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 10
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 16
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 16
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 30