Aug 29, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Pacquiao the coach has obviously realized he’ll need better players than just his 5-foot-6 self.
So, he’s courting Metta World Peace, formerly known as Ron Artest. (Do we call him The Pandas Friend yet?)
Pacquiao said if Artest’s schedule permits, he would talk him into playing in the PBA. He sounded so confident of his plan.
“Okay yun. Kaibigan ko yun (He’s my friend),” said Pacquiao of the 6-foot-7 star, who showed up in a press conference in Beverly Hills to announce the Filipino’s fight against Miguel Cotto in 2009.
“Kailangan namin ng magaling na import (We need a good import),” he added.
The big hang-up: World Peace/Pandas Friend has already struck a deal with the Sichuan Blue Whales in China. Does that contract have an out clause? Is Pacquiao comfortable waiting until the Chinese season ends?
There’s a lot to sort out, but Pacquiao is a congressman, for goodness sakes. If we can’t trust him to solve this crisis, who can we trust?
For World Peace/Pandas Friend, it must be nice to know how many suitors he has for his services – even if none of them are in the NBA. He’s certainly done well to boost his profile and lengthen his career.
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 4
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 4
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 16
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 12
- PBT Extra: Horford/Dellavedova incident ups tension in Hawks/Cavaliers Game 4 10
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 6