Aug 29, 2014, 10:00 AM EST
Pacquiao the coach has obviously realized he’ll need better players than just his 5-foot-6 self.
So, he’s courting Metta World Peace, formerly known as Ron Artest. (Do we call him The Pandas Friend yet?)
Pacquiao said if Artest’s schedule permits, he would talk him into playing in the PBA. He sounded so confident of his plan.
“Okay yun. Kaibigan ko yun (He’s my friend),” said Pacquiao of the 6-foot-7 star, who showed up in a press conference in Beverly Hills to announce the Filipino’s fight against Miguel Cotto in 2009.
“Kailangan namin ng magaling na import (We need a good import),” he added.
The big hang-up: World Peace/Pandas Friend has already struck a deal with the Sichuan Blue Whales in China. Does that contract have an out clause? Is Pacquiao comfortable waiting until the Chinese season ends?
There’s a lot to sort out, but Pacquiao is a congressman, for goodness sakes. If we can’t trust him to solve this crisis, who can we trust?
For World Peace/Pandas Friend, it must be nice to know how many suitors he has for his services – even if none of them are in the NBA. He’s certainly done well to boost his profile and lengthen his career.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 21
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 37
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 56
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28