Aug 29, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Pacquiao the coach has obviously realized he’ll need better players than just his 5-foot-6 self.
So, he’s courting Metta World Peace, formerly known as Ron Artest. (Do we call him The Pandas Friend yet?)
Pacquiao said if Artest’s schedule permits, he would talk him into playing in the PBA. He sounded so confident of his plan.
“Okay yun. Kaibigan ko yun (He’s my friend),” said Pacquiao of the 6-foot-7 star, who showed up in a press conference in Beverly Hills to announce the Filipino’s fight against Miguel Cotto in 2009.
“Kailangan namin ng magaling na import (We need a good import),” he added.
The big hang-up: World Peace/Pandas Friend has already struck a deal with the Sichuan Blue Whales in China. Does that contract have an out clause? Is Pacquiao comfortable waiting until the Chinese season ends?
There’s a lot to sort out, but Pacquiao is a congressman, for goodness sakes. If we can’t trust him to solve this crisis, who can we trust?
For World Peace/Pandas Friend, it must be nice to know how many suitors he has for his services – even if none of them are in the NBA. He’s certainly done well to boost his profile and lengthen his career.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 31
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 52