Aug 29, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
It’d already been reported Delfino would be stretched and Raduljica would be waived, and now, we’re learning all the specifics.
Ben Bolch of the Los Angeles Times:
What does that mean for the Clippers?
To start, they’ll be $4,449,228 below the hard hap, which they trigged by signing Spencer Hawes to the non-taxpayer mid-level exception. They can still offer only minimum-salary contracts, but they now can add four players. Prior to this sequence, they could have added only one.
With just 11 players left after the the stretchings, the Clippers will definitely add at least two to meet the league minimum. Considering they could have just kept Raduljica – who had a decent rookie year with the Bucks last season – and still sign three new players, four seems most likely (though they had to stretch him by Sunday, so they might just be biding time).
One one-possible positive of the trade is also diminished with this route.
Dudley has a $4.25 million early termination option for 2015-16, and he’s unlikely to exercise it, so he effectively has two years left on his deal. Delfino and Raduljica have fully unguaranteed 2015-16 salaries, meaning the Clippers could have kept both and then gotten those full savings next summer.
Instead, the Clippers stretching those two means their remaining guaranteed money will be spread evenly across the next five seasons (twice the number of years remaining on their contracts plus one).
That comes out to $950,000 per year through 2018-19. That’s a long time to carry that dead weight.
But at least the Clippers will get Douglas-Roberts, Udoh and/or a couple other veterans like them.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 0
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 20
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 20
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9