Aug 28, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
As expected, Tarik Black went undrafted, but he caught on with the Rockets’ summer-league teams and showed some promise.
The 6-foot-8 power forward is athletic and plays hard, though he lacks refinement. Maybe he’s a developmental prospect. After four years in college – three at Memphis followed by one at Kansas – Black doesn’t scream upside.
But Houston wants to see more.
Houston Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey announced today that the team has signed Tarik Black
Shams Charania of RealGM:
Probably, this is just a way to get Black into their training camp. If they waive him, they can assign him to their own D-League affiliate, the Rio Grande Valley Vipers.
But giving Black some guaranteed money, even if just a small amount, shows some commitment. That could give Black an edge when it comes to making the roster, or at minimum, it shows how badly Houston wanted him in the pipeline.
The Rockets have used the D-League well, so don’t be surprised to hear from Black at some point.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 41
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30