Aug 28, 2014, 3:45 PM EST
As expected, Tarik Black went undrafted, but he caught on with the Rockets’ summer-league teams and showed some promise.
The 6-foot-8 power forward is athletic and plays hard, though he lacks refinement. Maybe he’s a developmental prospect. After four years in college – three at Memphis followed by one at Kansas – Black doesn’t scream upside.
But Houston wants to see more.
Houston Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey announced today that the team has signed Tarik Black
Shams Charania of RealGM:
Probably, this is just a way to get Black into their training camp. If they waive him, they can assign him to their own D-League affiliate, the Rio Grande Valley Vipers.
But giving Black some guaranteed money, even if just a small amount, shows some commitment. That could give Black an edge when it comes to making the roster, or at minimum, it shows how badly Houston wanted him in the pipeline.
The Rockets have used the D-League well, so don’t be surprised to hear from Black at some point.
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 0
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 1
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 10
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 12
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 47
- Former Warriors coach Mark Jackson meets with Kings GM, DeMarcus Cousins after Tuesday night’s game 25
- PBT’s Tuesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Grizzlies grind ends Warriors streak 12