Aug 28, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
As expected, Tarik Black went undrafted, but he caught on with the Rockets’ summer-league teams and showed some promise.
The 6-foot-8 power forward is athletic and plays hard, though he lacks refinement. Maybe he’s a developmental prospect. After four years in college – three at Memphis followed by one at Kansas – Black doesn’t scream upside.
But Houston wants to see more.
Houston Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey announced today that the team has signed Tarik Black
Shams Charania of RealGM:
Probably, this is just a way to get Black into their training camp. If they waive him, they can assign him to their own D-League affiliate, the Rio Grande Valley Vipers.
But giving Black some guaranteed money, even if just a small amount, shows some commitment. That could give Black an edge when it comes to making the roster, or at minimum, it shows how badly Houston wanted him in the pipeline.
The Rockets have used the D-League well, so don’t be surprised to hear from Black at some point.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 50
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13