Aug 28, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT
The workout included forward Michael Beasley; big men Dexter Pittman, Greg Stiemsma, and Daniel Orton; and guards Bobby Brown, Toney Douglas, Ben Hansbrough and Malcolm Lee, a person with knowledge of the situation told USA TODAY Sports.
It’s long seemed the Lakers are delusional about their 2015 playoff chances, and this workout group only furthers that theory.
Pittman, Stiemsma, Orton, Brown, Douglas, Hansbrough, Lee all have NBA experience, providing the illusion they’re decent end-of-roster plug-ins for a win-now team. But for the most part, those seven have used opportunities in the Association to show they’re not quite at that level. Each aged between 24 and 29, it’s unlikely any have taken a major leap since their last NBA stint.
I like Stiemsma and Douglas more than the rest, but the Lakers need more help on the wing than they do center and point guard – that is if they’re trying to win this season. The cat might be out of the bag, but tanking for their top-five-protected first rounder was probably their best course.
Instead, they’re searching for modest low-upside help. With 13 guaranteed contracts, they have room to sign two players (to minimum contracts).
So, they could wind up with Beasley and one other player in this hodgepodge.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 16
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9