Dante Exum to come off the bench for Australia in World Cup

Aug 28, 2014, 12:20 PM EST

Dante Exum Dante Exum

Earlier this year, Dante Exum was playing Australian high school basketball.

Though he’s competed internationally and made a mark in summer league (not completely positive), Exum is still a mystery by top-five-pick standards.

So, I was particularly looking forward to watching him in the World Cup. I figured he’d have a huge role playing for Australia, not exactly a powerhouse.

But the Jazz guard won’t take over Team Australia.

Roy Ward of The Sydney Morning Herald:

coach Andrej Lemanis is expected to bring Exum off the bench, charging his young star with using his speed and athleticism to make an impact.

Cleveland Cavaliers point guard Matthew Dellavedova and Besiktas swingman Ryan Broekhoff are expected to start in the guard positions.

Lemanis has both started Exum and played him off the bench during the team’s lead-up games.

Exum, at times, has stood out offensively but he has also struggled to get over the many screens which are set during international play.

Lemanis said Exum would likely come off the bench but every game would present a different challenge for the team and the player.

“Having Dante come off the bench and make an impact is something which is good for us,” Lemanis said.

“He can change the pace of the game and with the initial energy out of the game, he can find his feet a bit easier and be more effective for this team.”

This could be a strategic decision to balance the starting lineup and bench, or Exum, 19, just might not be ready to start.

I’m a big Dellavedova fan, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s better than Exum right now. Broekhoff… I’m not so sure.

Hopefully, Exum still gets plenty of playing time. I want to get a better idea what all the fuss is about.

1. asimonetti88 - Aug 28, 2014 at 12:35 PM

“I figured he’d have a huge role playing for Australia, not exactly a powerhouse.”

Australia is an up and coming squad. Broekhoff played at Valpairaso, where he was League MVP over Ray McCallum… The Boomers have 5 NBA players at the World Cup, David Andersen is a former NBA player, and they have some up and coming talent like Thon Maker… they will be a team that could contend for a medal even this year, and definitely in the future.

• timberwolvesbrisin - Aug 28, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Every article has to have at least one pompous comment, I wouldnt take it personally Aussie.

• asimonetti88 - Aug 28, 2014 at 12:45 PM

I’m not an Aussie, but I worked for Basketball Australia in the past, so I guess I might take it somewhat personally unreasonably. But it does seem like a strange statement- Australia is well known as an up and coming international team.

• 2016olympics - Aug 28, 2014 at 1:13 PM

A healthy Patty Mills would have made it even more interesting.

• brento1499 - Aug 28, 2014 at 2:40 PM

thon maker is the next KD

2. blogsk3tball - Aug 28, 2014 at 10:13 PM

We got some talent. We have won silver at the u17 world champs the last two times. Australia’s day is coming. No Bogut, No Mills, and i’d still say we will be close the semi’s atleast.

We still also have Ben Simmons (no.1 Highschool prospect) in the works as well.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches