Aug 28, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
Earlier this year, Dante Exum was playing Australian high school basketball.
So, I was particularly looking forward to watching him in the World Cup. I figured he’d have a huge role playing for Australia, not exactly a powerhouse.
But the Jazz guard won’t take over Team Australia.
coach Andrej Lemanis is expected to bring Exum off the bench, charging his young star with using his speed and athleticism to make an impact.
Cleveland Cavaliers point guard Matthew Dellavedova and Besiktas swingman Ryan Broekhoff are expected to start in the guard positions.
Lemanis has both started Exum and played him off the bench during the team’s lead-up games.
Exum, at times, has stood out offensively but he has also struggled to get over the many screens which are set during international play.
Lemanis said Exum would likely come off the bench but every game would present a different challenge for the team and the player.
“Having Dante come off the bench and make an impact is something which is good for us,” Lemanis said.
“He can change the pace of the game and with the initial energy out of the game, he can find his feet a bit easier and be more effective for this team.”
This could be a strategic decision to balance the starting lineup and bench, or Exum, 19, just might not be ready to start.
I’m a big Dellavedova fan, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s better than Exum right now. Broekhoff… I’m not so sure.
Hopefully, Exum still gets plenty of playing time. I want to get a better idea what all the fuss is about.
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 0
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 7
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71