Aug 28, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
Earlier this year, Dante Exum was playing Australian high school basketball.
So, I was particularly looking forward to watching him in the World Cup. I figured he’d have a huge role playing for Australia, not exactly a powerhouse.
But the Jazz guard won’t take over Team Australia.
coach Andrej Lemanis is expected to bring Exum off the bench, charging his young star with using his speed and athleticism to make an impact.
Cleveland Cavaliers point guard Matthew Dellavedova and Besiktas swingman Ryan Broekhoff are expected to start in the guard positions.
Lemanis has both started Exum and played him off the bench during the team’s lead-up games.
Exum, at times, has stood out offensively but he has also struggled to get over the many screens which are set during international play.
Lemanis said Exum would likely come off the bench but every game would present a different challenge for the team and the player.
“Having Dante come off the bench and make an impact is something which is good for us,” Lemanis said.
“He can change the pace of the game and with the initial energy out of the game, he can find his feet a bit easier and be more effective for this team.”
This could be a strategic decision to balance the starting lineup and bench, or Exum, 19, just might not be ready to start.
I’m a big Dellavedova fan, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s better than Exum right now. Broekhoff… I’m not so sure.
Hopefully, Exum still gets plenty of playing time. I want to get a better idea what all the fuss is about.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 8
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 39
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31