Aug 28, 2014, 5:35 PM EDT
Team USA began building its World Cup roster with a player pool full of All-NBA talent, but steadily, the squad lost much of that star power.
Unlike with Griffin, Love, George and Durant, Team USA made the call to drop Lillard. For whatever reason, Jerry Colangelo and Mike Krzyzewski didn’t deem Lillard worthy.
But the door isn’t completely shut on the Trail Blazers guard who made the All-NBA third team last season.
Prior to being left off of the final 12-man roster last week, the Portland Trail Blazers’ All-Star point guard was informed that there could be a possibility he’d be added to the roster if one of their players, in particular Derrick Rose who has been dealing with knee soreness, were unable or opted not to continue the journey, a league source told CSNNW.com.
Lillard expressed to Jerry Colangelo, director of USA Basketball, his desire to be a part of Team USA in Spain and said he would rejoin the team if his services are indeed needed, the source said.
“It’s something we did discuss with Damian,” Colangelo confirmed to CSNNW.com via telephone. “We’ll see what happens.”
There isn’t much time left to add Lillard. Teams must submit final rosters tomorrow, and Rose insists he’s healthy. What will change between now and tomorrow?
Because the Americans – with Anthony Davis, DeMarcus Cousins, Mason Plumlee and Andre Drummond – went deeper at center than most expected, Lillard could even fill-in if a big man gets hurt. The roster balance would just tilt more toward the perimeter. Cousins dealt with an injury earlier in the summer, but he says he’s fine, and Krzyzewski seems to agree. Again, it’s difficult to see a last-minute change here either.
The odds seem extremely stacked against Lillard going to Spain, but I guess it’s nice for him to know he was No. 13. That’s some level of appreciation, and it might make him more willing to try out for the 2016 Olympic team rather than become disgruntled with the process.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 12
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29