Stephen Curry’s list of best shooters ever is full of people close to him

Aug 27, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT

2011 T-Mobile Rookie Challenge and Youth Jam 2011 T-Mobile Rookie Challenge and Youth Jam

Stephen Curry, in a Sports Illustrated interview (hat tip: CSN Bay Area), was asked about the best shooters in the NBA right now.

Curry’s top five:

My top five:

We mostly overlap, and I don’t think his list is unreasonable. Allen definitely has the career résumé, but I don’t think he’s quite elite anymore, and I believe Matthews is chronically overlooked in these rankings.

Overall, I think Curry is on the right track.

But he was also asked the best shooters of all time, and that’s where we differ more.

Curry’s top five:

• Reggie Miller
  • Dell Curry
  • Stephen Curry
  • Steve Kerr
  • Ray Allen

My top five:

• Ray Allen
  • Reggie Miller
  • Dale Ellis
  • Kyle Korver
  • Peja Stojakovic

Curry is close with all three of his players who differ from mine. One (Kerr) is his head coach with the Warriors. Another (Dell Curry) is his dad. And the third is himself.

So, maybe Curry is a bit biased.

But all three choices are definitely defensible. Kerr is the al-time leader in 3-point percentage (45.4). Dell Curry was ahead of his time as an outside shooter, and I believe Stephen Curry will retire as the best shooter of all time. I just don’t think he’s played long enough to justify inclusion in the top five yet.

1. campcouch - Aug 27, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Hahaha,I was confused on who Stephen Kerr was. Long night?

2. montrealknowledge - Aug 27, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Too funny… Stephen Kerr!!! Wesley Person had the sickest form… Craig Hodges could shoot and was my fav player for some reason.

3. klink6224 - Aug 27, 2014 at 9:50 PM

If you dont believe in yourself, who will?

4. mrlaloosh - Aug 27, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Glenn Rice?

• norcalkingsfan - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Yep. Glenn Rice. First name I thought of when I was thinking who was left off the list.

Much of the global warming in the 90’s was attributed to his ridiculous hot streaks he would routinely go on.

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 28, 2014 at 12:43 AM

My favorite Hornet of all time! Dude averaged 27ppg once and was the all star game MVP. He had a beautiful shot.

• mytthor - Aug 29, 2014 at 1:32 PM

For such big fans you’d think you guys would know how to spell his name

5. Bob Loblaw - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Any thoughts on Larry Bird??

• hubermeersmans - Aug 28, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Absolutely right man!!

6. zickhead - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:45 PM

The late Petrovic?

• mj234eva - Aug 30, 2014 at 12:08 PM

This!

7. longtallsam - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:50 PM

How do you leave Larry Bird off the list?

• sportsfan18 - Aug 28, 2014 at 11:15 AM

How you ask?

First, I was born and raised in Indiana and went to college at IU.

I’m old, only a few yrs younger than Bird and I’m HUGE Bird fan…

How is answered by his being 117th all time on the career 3 pt shooting percentage list in the league.

Yeah, you and others will say with the game on the line… Does that mean Bird did NOT care in the 2nd quarter? Of course not. Bird CARED all the time, didn’t take plays off etc… It just means that Bird didn’t shrink with the game on the line is all.

How about Reggie Miller with the game on the line?

What was the question? Top 5 all time. It wasn’t top 5 all time with the game on the line.

And since he DID care about his shots and the teams execution in the 2nd quarter just like at the end of games… well he missed a lot more 3’s than others so he can’t be in the top 5 all time.

No, his rank at 117 percentage wise doesn’t mean he’s 117 all time as he’s higher than that by a good bit but he can’t jump into the top 5 all time from that far down…

FYI Larry Bird is my #6 player of all time but as much as I like him and his game, he isn’t in the top 5 for shooting 3’s all time… even though I want and would like for him to be.

• hurley711 - Aug 28, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Where does it say all time 3pt shooters? Question listed was best shooters, not 3pt shooters.

8. vikesdynasty - Aug 27, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Mike miller? That a typo?

9. blackhercules718 - Aug 27, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Being born in 1980 the top 5 shooters I’ve seen since then (in no particular order)

Mahmoud Abdul Rauf
    Dell Curry
    Glen Rice
    Steph Curry
    Chris Mullin

• progress2011 - Aug 28, 2014 at 4:42 AM

So sad Abdul Rauf was ran out of the league, when he changed his name.

The guy was a BALLER!!!

• mytthor - Aug 29, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Let’s see: drafted in 1990, changed his name in 1993, Left the league after 97-98 to play in Europe and came back for a bit with the Grizzlies in 2000-2001. Oh, the dreadful oppression!

10. campcouch - Aug 27, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Chuck Person.

11. ProBasketballPundit - Aug 28, 2014 at 12:47 AM

I’d rather talk about a list of guys with the prettiest jump shots of all time. I’d have Glen Rice, Dell Curry, Steph Curry, Derek Fisher, and Ray Allen on my list. But I’m sure there’s lots of guys I’m not remembering.

• mytthor - Aug 29, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Ok, you go ahead and talk about how it looks, the rest of us will care if it went in.

12. darbley73 - Aug 28, 2014 at 4:15 AM

The only way to figure out this argument is to look at the 90/50/40 club. The leader of this club is Steve Nash (x4), the best shooter of all-time. Other members are: Larry Bird (x2), Mark Price, Reggie Miller, Dirk Nowitzki and Kevin Durant. These are clearly the top shooters ever.

13. spyder9669 - Aug 28, 2014 at 6:24 AM

Steve Nash

14. ravenswhat - Aug 28, 2014 at 7:11 AM

lol putting Kyle korver, dale ellis or Peja on a list before Bird. Wtf.

15. sportsfan18 - Aug 28, 2014 at 8:09 AM

In the lists above about the top 5 in the game right now…

FYI

Steph Curry currently has the THIRD HIGHEST 3 pt shooting percentage of all time.

Steve Novak currently has the SIXTH HIGHEST 3 pt shooting percentage of all time.

Kyle Korver is 11th all time

Klay Thompson is 17th all time

Mike Miller is 18th all time

Ray Allen is tied for 36th all time

Wesley Matthews is 49th all time

With respect to the top 5 shooters of all time from 3, maybe Curry isn’t biased with his coach, Steve Kerr.

Steve Kerr has the HIGHEST career 3 pt percentage of all time, by more than a full percentage point over 2nd place.

Kerr is the only player to average more than 45% from 3 in his career.

• mytthor - Aug 29, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Percentage isn’t everything. Kerr shot probably 90% of his 3’s under little to no defensive pressure. Curry hitting the majority of his shots over a defender off the dribble makes his percentage more impressive and him a better shooter, IMO. Kerr was great but he was a great role player. Didn’t even start for much of his career.

16. davidly - Aug 28, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Of course, Bird. He more than makes up for his three percentage with his overall percentage.

17. darbley73 - Aug 28, 2014 at 5:46 PM

The article title said best shooters ever. Not 3 point shooters, but over all percentage. That is why Steve Nash is #1, Larry Bird #2.

18. shag12 - Aug 29, 2014 at 1:24 PM

If Jerry West (NBA Logo) is not on the ljst, then there is not a reason to have such a list. This is Blasphemous!!!

19. sonnysuave - Aug 28, 2014 at 12:33 AM

If those guys were open… you had absolutely NO DOUBT their shot would be automatic! On the other hand… if the author thinks players like Wesley Matthews, Mike Miller, Peja Stojakovic were automatic… dood is krazy! Those guys are GOOD shooters & hit some clutch shots in their careers… but definitely not top 5 worthy!

20. norcalkingsfan - Aug 28, 2014 at 3:13 AM

Mike Mille and Wesley Matthews I agree. Peja was one of the top five shooters of all time. Trust me, I watched his whole career.

21. mytthor - Aug 29, 2014 at 1:42 PM

You can’t have seen Peja play in his prime.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches