Kobe says Deron Williams lost confidence in himself during playoff game vs. Heat

Aug 27, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

Deron Williams AP

Kobe Bryant has been quite quotable as of late, thanks to the excellent piece crafted by Chris Ballard of Sports Illustrated.

One thing that came out in a follow-up story, however, may not sit well with Deron Williams.

The Nets were no match for the Heat in last season’s playoffs, losing in five games to the team that would ultimately represent the East in the NBA Finals. Williams had an up and down series, but his Game 2 performance is what caught Bryant’s attention.

From Chris Ballard of Sports Illustrated:

Gotham Chopra, the director of “Kobe Bryant’s Muse”, an upcoming documentary on Bryant, told a story about being with Kobe and watching the Nets and the Heat play. Recounts Chopra, “Deron Williams went like 0-for-9. I was like, ‘Can you believe Deron Williams went 0-9?’ Kobe was like, ‘I would go 0-30 before I would go 0-9.  0-9 means you beat yourself, you psyched yourself out of the game, because Deron Williams can get more shots in the game. The only reason is because you’ve just now lost confidence in yourself.’

Now, Williams did have seven rebounds and six assists in that contest, and there are nights when a player simply knows that for one reason or another, his shot isn’t going to fall. And, as the team’s point guard, it’s up to Williams to get the ball to his teammates in order to create the team’s highest percentage scoring chances.

But as should have been made clear by now, Bryant views the competitive world of basketball differently than most. His job, more often than not, is to be his team’s leading scorer, so coming from that perspective, his comments make a lot of sense.

Williams is in a different situation entirely, so perhaps he won’t take what Bryant said all that personally.

1. asimonetti88 - Aug 27, 2014 at 3:15 PM

I guess that explains Game 7 of the 2010 NBA Finals when he went like 10-25 or whatever. But like Kobe did in that game, D-Will found other ways to impact the game by hitting the boards and setting up teammates. I don’t agree with KB8 on this one.

• pharohislife - Aug 27, 2014 at 3:31 PM

No no no, this is KobeBryant24, KB8 is dead and gone.

• asimonetti88 - Aug 27, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Doesn’t roll off the tongue quite the same.

• trueballs - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:21 PM

For the record, Kobe went 6-24 in that game.

• loungefly74 - Aug 28, 2014 at 8:56 AM

correct. it was a sloppy game. may be the game i watched most on repeat. his rebounding (15) was the true difference.

2. rrhoe - Aug 27, 2014 at 3:34 PM

‘I would go 0-30 before I would go 0-9.’…..now that’s the Kobe I know.

• therealhtj - Aug 27, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Should be plenty of nights close to 0-30 the next couple years.

• money2long - Aug 28, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Would you bet your kids on that ?

• handsomerob86 - Aug 27, 2014 at 11:08 PM

I would rather he go out this way. I will miss Kobe when hes really gone. I mean I don’t really like him, but in a weird way I like what he stands for. You can tell he takes this stuff seriously, were others just play. I guess its cause I feel like Kobes is a pro’s pro, and I can relate to that. He isn’t the most efficient guy, but you know he is gonna give it everything hes got anyway. And he is always trying to improve, even when its not really possible due to declining athleticism.

Hes one of the greatest not because of his athletic gifts (even though they are way above average still, LeBron for instance, has more, even than Kobe in his prime), its really because of his work ethic. Thats why he made all those all defensive teams while winning the scoring titles. Have to respect the drive, even if hes not always great as a person.

3. pharohislife - Aug 27, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Deron Williams scrubbed it up in that series, the whole playoffs actually. Joe Johnson did his part and even The Older Pierce played better than him but that’s just off pride alone. D-Will has none.

4. pharohislife - Aug 27, 2014 at 3:37 PM

And J-Kidd’s Rotations were questionable.

5. divan22 - Aug 27, 2014 at 3:43 PM

0-30?

Gee, I just can’t figure out why Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol left the NBA’s glamour franchise behind FOR LESS MONEY???

• asimonetti88 - Aug 27, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Pau Gasol left for about the same money. Pau and Kobe are BFFs.

• divan22 - Aug 27, 2014 at 5:31 PM

“About the same money”?

Lakers offer: 2 years, $20 mil. $10 mil/season.

Bulls offer: 3 years, $22 mil. $7.3 mil/season.

Darn those facts!

• asimonetti88 - Aug 27, 2014 at 6:03 PM

yeah, that’s pretty much about the same money. The Bulls offered $2 million more total, the Lakers offered more short term money. About the same. The Bulls are a better team right now, the Lakers have his best friend in the NBA.

• divan22 - Aug 27, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Hahaha “about the same”, it’s just going to take 3 years in Chicago to earn “about” what he could’ve made in 2 years with LA!

So someone who flips burgers makes “about the same” as a surgeon. It just takes 10 years for the burger flipper to make what the surgeon makes in one year, that’s all!

6. andreboy1 - Aug 27, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Remember when he choked down the strectch in game 7?

Bouncing balls off his foot and Ron freaking Artest had to save the day?

Yeah?

Kobe choked that day.

• paleihe - Aug 27, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Good thing the Lakers still won the title though. Or does that no longer matter?

• loungefly74 - Aug 28, 2014 at 9:01 AM

its like people cant see the forest for the trees. yeah, it was a sloppy game by both teams…but the Lakers won the title. right. thats what matters.

• loungefly74 - Aug 28, 2014 at 8:59 AM

just about every player was having a bad game. rebounding was the difference.

7. tbutler704 - Aug 27, 2014 at 6:04 PM

I nominate Kobe to be the new Charles Barkley when he finally stops stealing money from the Lakers.

• elecblues - Aug 27, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Didn’t Kobe say he wanted to have that kind of job when he retires? Inside the NBA with Shaq and Kobe should be interesting.

8. antistratfordian - Aug 27, 2014 at 6:42 PM

“I would go 0-30 before I would go 0-9.”

Yeah, we know, Kobe. We know. Even when you’re off you’ll still keep chucking – completely ignoring the fact that you have teammates that might be open. You’ll chalk it up as “I’m not losing confidence in myself” when really you’re just being a low basketball IQ narrow-minded jack face.

• themars211 - Aug 27, 2014 at 6:46 PM

#hatersgonnahate…hmmm low IQ’ed his way to 5 rings….yup makes sense

• divan22 - Aug 27, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Low IQ’d his way to the joke of a roster he has now. Great players don’t like playing with selfish players.

• antistratfordian - Aug 27, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Coattail riders gonna coattail ride.

Kobe often has a great many episodes of very low IQ basketball. You see it often every single year. He can’t help himself, that’s just the way he’s built – he even admits that. “Sometimes when I get the ball I have blinders on and I see nothing but that basket so you guys have to tell me if you’re open.” He’s built to be a low IQ basketball player.

• themars211 - Aug 27, 2014 at 7:17 PM

And he is management or responsible for signing players….right!!! I keep forgetting that you new breed of NBA fans are into the get along gang type of player…please you are my friend come play with me…smdh I guess its back to the Voltron days…look it up if you have to ask…lmao. Magic and Isiah Thomas the best of friends back in the day but they would kill each other in court in front of a judge and the bailiff if it meant getting that ring lol

• musician0785 - Aug 27, 2014 at 6:58 PM

The Oklahoman recently conducted an interesting, albeit basic poll among players and coaches to determine who has the highest basketball IQ in the NBA.
      Alanis Morrisette-ironically, the player who garnered the most votes was a gentleman (and basketball scholar) who never attended college or university.
      Stay in school, ki— bah, forget it.
      The results were as follows:

1. Kobe Bryant(notes), Lakers
      2. Jason Kidd(notes), Mavericks
      3. Steve Nash(notes), Suns
      4. Chris Paul(notes), Hornets
      5. LeBron James(notes), Cavaliers

• dj3garrett - Aug 27, 2014 at 7:08 PM

How long ago was that?

• musician0785 - Aug 27, 2014 at 7:11 PM

2012

• antistratfordian - Aug 27, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Well that’s obviously wrong. No one who chucks that much and ignores his teammates that much has a basketball IQ higher than LBJ or CP3. He may not even have a bball IQ higher than Jeremy Lin.

Sorry, but you’ve failed.

• musician0785 - Aug 27, 2014 at 7:15 PM

so the nba players and coaches who voted in the poll were ALL wrong? lmaooooo your hate knows no bounds

• antistratfordian - Aug 27, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Well no, not all of them. Just the ones who voted for Kobe at #1. Clearly, he does not deserve to be there by his own admission.

High IQ players do not have to say things like this to their teammates (per Antawn Jamison):

“Look, you guys as my teammates, yell at me. Let me know that you’re open because I’m so programmed, I see nothing but that basket. You could be open, there could be three guys on me, but the only thing I see is that basket so you have to tell me, ‘Look, I was open.'”

Sorry. Kobe ain’t #1, bro. Not by a long shot. You know I’m right.

• musician0785 - Aug 27, 2014 at 7:25 PM

and it’s your belief that you know more about Kobe Bryant’s game than the majority of the coaches and players who have competed against him? And you talk about Kobe’s ego being out of control…..my goodness

• antistratfordian - Aug 27, 2014 at 7:33 PM

For someone who is supposed to have a high IQ he certainly has a s—t ton of low IQ plays where he’s forcing up bad shot after bad and even has Lakers fans exclaiming, “what the heck is Kobe doing!!!?”

It even got to the point where Phil Jackson, after another in a long lone of selfish Kobe games, said, “well, If I was playing I probably wouldn’t pa.ss him the ball next time.”

What!? Why wouldn’t Phil Jackson want to pa.ss the ball to the player with the highest basketball IQ in the league!?? lol.

Give me a break. You know I’m right. I know you know I’m right about this.

• mazblast - Aug 27, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Based on my thank-God-long-ago years in Oklahoma, I’m surprised the Oklahoman (to which I subscribed back then) knows one thing about IQ, including how to spell it.

• money2long - Aug 28, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Only Kobe can take the shots he does because no one in the game can create the kind if shot he does with a chance to make them. That’s the difference between Kobe and the other great scorers in the game. So his iq is tied to his ability to knock down tough shots. Which is why when he makes them no one is surprised. They just say Kobe is at it again.

9. themars211 - Aug 27, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Yeah Anti we know…high IQ to you means going around the league and trying to convince the best players to join your super team.

• antistratfordian - Aug 27, 2014 at 7:35 PM

No, it means playing basketball the right way and playing efficiently and intelligently.

• divan22 - Aug 27, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Kobe has tried recruiting players too. It’s just that nobody wants to play with a declining, selfish player who thinks he still deserves to shoot 20+ times/game to the detriment of the team.

10. themars211 - Aug 27, 2014 at 7:28 PM

How many rings has the high IQ CP3 won exactly? Just curious?

11. enigma2742 - Aug 27, 2014 at 9:46 PM

HE’S RIGHT AND I DONT GIVE A DAMN WHAT DERON WILLIAMS SAY EVEN IN THE TORONTO SERIES HE HAD MOMENT WHEN HE DIDNT BELIEVE IN HIMSELF. WILLIAMS IS A SELFISH BASTARD THAT GOT THE GREAT JERRY SLOAN TO RESIGNED AND WHEN HE WAS PLAYING AWFUL IN BROOKLYN HE CLAIMS IT WAS THE SYSTEM IS THE REASON FOR HIS PLAY AND GOT AVERY JOHNSON FIRED, WHERES THE ACCOUNTABILTIY DERON.

12. tomtravis76 - Aug 27, 2014 at 11:28 PM

If Kobe’ s game wasn’t exactly like MJ’ s( kobes is only slightly inferior),and came a few years after Mike left ,Kobe would be talked about as top10 all time, but he will never crack it. If you are going to be the same product you have to be an upgrade.

13. loungefly74 - Aug 28, 2014 at 9:11 AM

i wonder what the reaction would be if Barkley or MJ said this. it would probably still be no big deal because its just an opinion…

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches