Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers

Aug 27, 2014, 1:02 PM EST

Kevin Love Kevin Love

Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor didn’t exactly take the Dan Gilbert route of trashing a superstar player who forced his way out of town, but he wasn’t exactly all that nice about it, either.

Following the trade of Kevin Love to the Cavaliers, Taylor attempted to take some parting shots at Love, which only served to reveal the level of bitterness he has regarding the way things played out.

“I question Kevin if this is going to be the best deal for him because I think he’s going to be the third player on a team. I don’t think he’s going to get a lot of credit if they do really well. I think he’ll get the blame if they don’t do well. He’s going to have to learn to handle that.

“I think he’s around a couple guys are awful good. Now I’m not saying that Kevin’s not good, but I think where maybe he got away with some stuff, not playing defense on our team, I’m not sure how that’s going to work in Cleveland. So I would guess they’re going to ask him to play more defense. And he’s foul-prone,” Taylor said.

The only thing that I still have a question mark about will be his health. I had that concern then, I still have that concern and I think Cleveland should have that concern, too,” Taylor said. “If they sign him to a five-year contract like they’re thinking about, I mean that’s a big contract in a guy that’s had sometimes where he’s missed games.”

That’s a lot of unnecessary shade, and it’s clear that Love didn’t exactly appreciate it.

From ESPN.com:

Love, appearing on ESPN Radio’s “Mike & Mike” on Wednesday morning, responded to comments made by Taylor, who said Tuesday that the All-Star forward may get exposed for his play on the defensive end and may wind up being the scapegoat if the new-look Cavs struggle.

“I think emotions are definitely running high right now,” Love told “Mike & Mike.” “For Glen to say that, I just think that he should be focusing on the players that he just received. I mean, he has two of the No. 1 picks in the last two drafts: Andrew Wiggins and Anthony Bennett. He has another guy who can really play in Thaddeus Young.

“I think he got a lot for me. So I’d be focusing even more on that. More than anything, I’m just excited to start my time in Cleveland, get to work with my new teammates, and start with this new family here.

The haul the Timberwolves received in exchange for Love was pretty great under the circumstances. Andrew Wiggins and Anthony Bennett are two fine pieces that should help expedite the rebuilding process, and Thaddeus Young is a veteran capable of adding immediate production. Minnesota also shed two unsavory contracts in the deal, which never hurts when you’re trying to position yourself for future success.

Taylor being displeased overall with losing a player of Love’s caliber is understandable; free agent superstars are never going to sign willingly in Minnesota, so those types of players are hard to come by. But the negativity he expressed about Love on his way out the door doesn’t do anything to help, when now is a time to be optimistic about what may become of the team in the future.

Latest Posts
  1. Rumor: Baron Davis planning an NBA comeback. Stop laughing, he’s serious.

Feb 27, 2015, 11:00 PM EST

Jordan Brand Melo M9 Shoe Launch Getty Images

There is about as much chance of me getting a date with Emily Ratajkowski this weekend as there is of this actually happening.

2. What’s the best way to defend Kings’ cherry-picking idea?

Feb 27, 2015, 9:00 PM EST

NBA teams are considering the question

3. Daryl Morey believes two bad shots are better than one good shot (always), but data wasn’t significant enough for Jeff Van Gundy to change

Feb 27, 2015, 7:59 PM EST

Houston Rockets Draft Picks Press Conference Getty Images

An interesting anecdote from Morey (speaking at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference) about how the data showed an advantage, but not one big enough for his coach to change.

4. Re-inventing the Wheel: Mike Zarren presents modified NBA-draft-lottery-reform proposals

Feb 27, 2015, 6:59 PM EST

the modified draft wheel

Instead of 30-year plan, assistant Celtics general manager unveils five-year and 10-year plans

5. Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’

Feb 27, 2015, 5:30 PM EST

Shane Battier Shane Battier

There are financial obstacles in the way of dropping 22 games from the schedule, but Battier makes a somewhat compelling case.

6. Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers

Feb 27, 2015, 4:56 PM EST

Cleveland Cavaliers v New York Knicks Getty Images

He’s day to day. (Insert your Keith Olberman joke here.)

7. NBA to release “Last Two Minutes” officiating reports through end of season, playoffs

Feb 27, 2015, 4:30 PM EST

Boston Celtics Vs. Brooklyn Nets At TD Garden Getty Images

It’s not going to change most fans’ minds, but it’s a good first step.

8. Report: Highest bid for Atlanta Hawks currently $800 million

Feb 27, 2015, 3:45 PM EST

Indiana Pacers v Atlanta Hawks - Game Six Getty Images

Don’t be surprised if another bidder comes in over the top.

9. Report: If Ray Allen return to NBA this season it will not be with Cleveland

Feb 27, 2015, 3:15 PM EST

Ray Allen Getty Images

Don’t expect him to return, but if he does Cleveland appears off the list.

10. The time Michael Jordan asked Common to forge his signature (VIDEO)

Feb 27, 2015, 2:45 PM EST

87th Annual Academy Awards - Red Carpet Getty Images

Turns out Common was a Bulls ball boy back in the early Jordan era in Chicago, so he and Michael Jordan had some laughs together.

11. Jeff Van Gundy to Daryl Morey when he flinched at using analytics to make a decision: ‘Either you believe in this sh-t or you don’t’

Feb 27, 2015, 2:14 PM EST

Game One Miami Heat v Indiana Pacers - Eastern Conference Finals Game One Getty Images

The data said that Dikembe Mutombo was better than Yao Ming, but Morey wasn’t ready to make that call.

12. Shane Battier says peer pressure is more valuable than coaching in the NBA

Feb 27, 2015, 1:30 PM EST

Shane Battier Shane Battier

A team’s best players hold each other accountable, according to the former NBA player.

13. Report: Phil Jackson to get fined for innocuous comment on Ohio State’s D’Angelo Russell

Feb 27, 2015, 12:48 PM EST

Celebrities Attend Vancouver Canucks Vs New York Rangers Game - February 19, 2015 Getty Images

Phil Jackson can’t just quietly sneak into a building and watch a prospect, so a reporter asked him a question. Jackson answered and will pay for that.

14. Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs.

Feb 27, 2015, 11:58 AM EST

Chicago Bulls v Houston Rockets Getty Images

This makes the Bulls a lot more dangerous come the playoffs.

15. Draymond Green drives for dunk, Timofey Mozgov isn’t going to stop him (VIDEO)

Feb 27, 2015, 11:28 AM EST

draymond green Getty Images

The Cavaliers’ rim protection has been infinitely better since the arrival of Timofey Mozgov, but he wasn’t stopping Draymond Green on this one.

16. Kyle Lowry on his game of late: “I’m trash.”

Feb 27, 2015, 10:44 AM EST

Raptors DeRozan and Lowry against Hawks Getty Images

DeMar DeRozan says he’s right next to Lowry on this.

Is Derrick Rose the next Penny Hardaway?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches
  1. K. Durant (7741)
  2. D. Rose (7417)
  3. S. Curry (7265)
  4. D. Howard (6811)
  5. P. George (6394)
  1. M. Carter-Williams (6391)
  2. A. Davis (5931)