Aug 27, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
Obviously, there were plenty of questions whether the 6-foot-11 Henson had the bulk to play inside in the NBA.
Henson’s game dictated he should, at least. His shot-blocking at North Carolina was exceptional, and he wasn’t much of a ball-handler. But at least a few people thought he couldn’t hack it as a professional power forward.
Turns out, Henson might be ready to move in deeper into the paint.
Gery Woelfel of The (Racine) Journal Times:
The positional revolution is already upon us, and Bucks coach Jason Kidd is taking it to the next level.
Coaching the Nets last season, Kidd went small following Brook Lopez’s injury. The results were positive, perhaps giving Kidd his niche – a coach who’s unafraid to tinker with weird lineups.
He already plans to play Giannis Antetokounmpo at point guard – not point forward – and Henson at center is another funky twist. The Bucks might not be good, but it should be fun to watch Kidd experiment with mismatches.
As fun as Milwaukee’s lineups could be, there is a downside to this news. If Henson starts at center, Larry Sanders, who finished serving his suspension last season, wouldn’t. Not long ago, Sanders was one of the game’s more electric big men, but attitude issues have derailed his career.
So, maybe Kidd plans to start Henson at center out of necessity. But that was also Kidd’s reason for altering Brooklyn’s lineup, and that turned out pretty well.
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 2
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 19
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 20
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 6
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 17
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25