Doc Rivers got PAID

Aug 27, 2014, 4:22 PM EST

San Antonio Spurs v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

Earlier this summer, I examined coaching salaries.

With the caveat not all data is publicly available and some sources are better than others, Gregg Popovich topped the list at $8 million per year.

But the Spurs coach has already lost his place.

Doc Rivers, whose new contract with the Clippers was announced today, is the new No. 1.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:

Rivers is definitely feeling the Steve Ballmer love. Though I rate him the third-best coach in the league behind Popovich and Tom Thibodeau, Rivers had a little leverage based on the threat of him leaving in the wake of the Donald Sterling saga.

Good for Rivers for drawing such a big contract. Yes, he also holds a front-office title, but so does Popovich. The Clippers are still paying Rivers a lot for whatever he does.

Here’s a prediction, though: Unless it’s renegotiated, Rivers’ salary won’t even rank in the NBA’s top three by the time this contract expires.

As the Collective Bargaining Agreement makes it more difficult to add player salary – the Clippers, for example, are butting against the hard cap – teams rich with revenue are looking for other edges. Coaching is one way, so there’s a premium on top coaches – coaches like Rivers.

1. worldbfree4me - Aug 27, 2014 at 4:33 PM

That comes to about $25 Million after Jerry Brown’s taxes! Happy for Doc no less!!

2. teamvic80nyg - Aug 27, 2014 at 4:46 PM

OVERPAID

• elecblues - Aug 27, 2014 at 6:05 PM

True. Actually Ballmer could have hired an equal if not better coach for half of that amount.
      “The Clippers are still paying Rivers a lot for whatever he does” Doc Rivers should not be in the front office.

• jvw1982 - Aug 27, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Who is the guy that is better than Doc that is available and would sign with the Clips for half of what he is making?

• apkyletexas - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:21 PM

I would love to see Mike D’Antoni with that roster. Not that they would win anything – but it would be huge fun to watch them combine Lob City with Seven Seconds or Less..

3. 88heatnation - Aug 27, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Christ!

4. sisisisisisisi - Aug 27, 2014 at 5:15 PM

you have an imbecile owner that way overpaid for the team and now the coach, just because he has all the money, doesn’t mean he ain’t an idiot

5. andreboy1 - Aug 27, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Doc’s fake outrage over the Sterling fiasco made me lose a lot of respect for him.

He wasn’t foolin’ anybody.

He knew who Sterling was. He just didn’t care until he had to.

• jvw1982 - Aug 27, 2014 at 7:12 PM

LOL yea fake….so you think every black person is not supposed to work for a person they think has racist views? Every black person has willingly worked for a boss who they felt was racist…..you go into those situations hoping you are either wrong or his views won’t have any bearing on your relationship with him or the job…..and when it happens its like a punch in gut, your worst nightmare…..now you have to quit a job you love with people you like to work with or stay…never judge a man until you have walked in his shoes…..

• duhwighthoward - Aug 27, 2014 at 7:50 PM

@ jvw, I RESPECT YOUR POINT. I’VE WORKED FOR MANY A RACIST OWNER. WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO? YOU NEED TO PUT FOOD ON THE TABLE. IF YOU WANT TO ADVANCE YOUR CAREER, YOU HAVE TO MAKE SACRIFICES. BUT EVERY MAN HAS A BREAKING POINT.

BUT andreboy1 IS RIGHT. STERLING SAID AND DID FAR WORSE THINGS WHEN DOC RIVERS PLAYED FOR THE CLIPPERS, BUT DOC DIDN’T SAY OR DO ANYTHING THEN.

• 76ersdoubletank - Aug 28, 2014 at 7:50 AM

I remember being a college student work at the wonderful Subway Cooporation. I remember how my old boss was fired and they hired a new boss who treated me awful, called me names, and hired all her friends to take all my hours.

I needed the money becuase you know, I was poor and in college, and I didn’t have time to apply everywhere for a job. The way she used to call me out at meetings for nothing always was like a punch to the gut that you describe.

The funny thing was…she was black, and I am as they say white. So you’re right JVW. You can’t judge people. A lof of them are just jerks. Kinda like that boss I had.

That being said, I didn’t have a choice on which boss to pick. Well, I actually did, but that boss quit. Rivers totally had a choice to NOT work for Sterling right? I mean he was in Boston. He knew about the Elgin Baylor treatment. He knew about the apartments Sterling owned and how that fiasco developed. He’s heard of google?

That’s where I think it’s different. He made a choice to work for someone who he knew treated him, and specifically people of his race poorly and without respect. And he parlayed that into a raise. Bravo sir. Bravo.

6. timberwolvesbrisin - Aug 27, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Fraud

7. avb300 - Aug 27, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Looks like this Sterling mess ended up helping Rivers. A lot.

8. jvw1982 - Aug 27, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Good for you Doc…..yes you my be over paid but it doesn’t count against the salary cap….Bosh, Hayward and Parsons contracts are much worse and detrimental to the teams future success…..

9. borisalessandri - Aug 27, 2014 at 8:31 PM

I’m curious to know what Ballmer would’ve paid to get Thibs or Pop, if they were available

10. moneymike23 - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Steve Ballmer is an idiot. $10 million for a mediocre coach which is totally unnecessary. I don’t blame Rivers for taking the money, I bet he didn’t even have to negotiate. IDK what people wanted him to do say no? As far as Ballmer goes, he will destroy the Clippers like he destroyed Microsoft.

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches