Charlotte offers to spend $33.5 million to upgrade Hornets’ arena. Is that enough to get an All-Star Game?
Aug 27, 2014, 8:44 AM EST
The Charlotte Bobcats really want to host an upcoming NBA All-Star weekend and they made a big show out of them sending in the application (along with as many as 10 other teams.
But with that came a statement from the people making the application that the Time Warner center needs an upgrade, to the tune of $48 million.
How does $33.5 million sound? Actually more like $27.5 million now plus some maintenance money for the next decade. Is that enough?
The city of Charlotte is prepared to spend $27.5 million in capital improvements for Time Warner Cable Arena, as well as 10 years’ worth of annual payments of $600,000 for ongoing maintenance….
The city’s proposal calls for the team to receive money for restaurant renovations, bathroom improvements, new lighting, visitor locker room upgrades, moving the ticket office and scoreboard improvements. The team would also replace a number of “tabletop” seats in its lower bowl with traditional seats, which would increase capacity by about 600 seats.
The Hornets will pitch in money, too, covering upgrades to their home locker room and suites in the building.
Is that going to be enough, or at least enough to keep Charlotte in the running for an All-Star Game? Time will tell, but the league is trying to pump up owner Michael Jordan and that market.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 0
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1