Aug 26, 2014, 8:35 PM EST
Here are all players who returned to the NBA at age 39 or older after being retired at least three seasons:
1. Bob Cousy.
That’s it. That’s the entire list.
Zydrunas Ilgauskas was reportedly attempting to double it, but perhaps that rumor was premature.
Shams Charania of RealGM:
This probably ends the story.
However, sometimes the default position of an agent is to deny, deny, deny. Also, Ilgauskas – if he is attempting a comeback – would probably prefer to work privately in case his body doesn’t respond as he hopes. Better not to fail publicly if that’s an option.
But Occam’s razor suggests Ilgauskas isn’t trying to come back. He’s too old and been retired too long, and someone is on the record denying it. Unless more evidence presents itself Ilgauskas is trying to come back, there’s little reason to believe he actually is.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 22
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18