Aug 26, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
Here are all players who returned to the NBA at age 39 or older after being retired at least three seasons:
1. Bob Cousy.
That’s it. That’s the entire list.
Zydrunas Ilgauskas was reportedly attempting to double it, but perhaps that rumor was premature.
Shams Charania of RealGM:
This probably ends the story.
However, sometimes the default position of an agent is to deny, deny, deny. Also, Ilgauskas – if he is attempting a comeback – would probably prefer to work privately in case his body doesn’t respond as he hopes. Better not to fail publicly if that’s an option.
But Occam’s razor suggests Ilgauskas isn’t trying to come back. He’s too old and been retired too long, and someone is on the record denying it. Unless more evidence presents itself Ilgauskas is trying to come back, there’s little reason to believe he actually is.
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 0
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 10
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 12
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 6
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 47
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7