Aug 26, 2014, 8:35 PM EST
Here are all players who returned to the NBA at age 39 or older after being retired at least three seasons:
1. Bob Cousy.
That’s it. That’s the entire list.
Zydrunas Ilgauskas was reportedly attempting to double it, but perhaps that rumor was premature.
Shams Charania of RealGM:
This probably ends the story.
However, sometimes the default position of an agent is to deny, deny, deny. Also, Ilgauskas – if he is attempting a comeback – would probably prefer to work privately in case his body doesn’t respond as he hopes. Better not to fail publicly if that’s an option.
But Occam’s razor suggests Ilgauskas isn’t trying to come back. He’s too old and been retired too long, and someone is on the record denying it. Unless more evidence presents itself Ilgauskas is trying to come back, there’s little reason to believe he actually is.
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 1
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 7
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 16
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 16
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 30
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 24