Aug 26, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
Here are all players who returned to the NBA at age 39 or older after being retired at least three seasons:
1. Bob Cousy.
That’s it. That’s the entire list.
Zydrunas Ilgauskas was reportedly attempting to double it, but perhaps that rumor was premature.
Shams Charania of RealGM:
This probably ends the story.
However, sometimes the default position of an agent is to deny, deny, deny. Also, Ilgauskas – if he is attempting a comeback – would probably prefer to work privately in case his body doesn’t respond as he hopes. Better not to fail publicly if that’s an option.
But Occam’s razor suggests Ilgauskas isn’t trying to come back. He’s too old and been retired too long, and someone is on the record denying it. Unless more evidence presents itself Ilgauskas is trying to come back, there’s little reason to believe he actually is.
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 9
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 6
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 10
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 16
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 7
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8
- Report: Becky Hammon gaining traction around the NBA as “serious” head-coaching candidate 42
- Gregg Popovich discusses three-point shot, changing roles for bigs in NBA 4