Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers

Aug 26, 2014, 7:40 PM EST

Anderson Varejao, Kevin Love, Kyrie Irving Anderson Varejao, Kevin Love, Kyrie Irving

Dan Gilbert set the standard for how not to handle a superstar leaving.

But the Cavaliers owner didn’t create the only example to follow.

Heat owner Micky Arison offered a much more graceful alternative.

Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor – who just traded Kevin Love to the Cavaliers – chose a middle road, albeit one that runs for too close to Gilbert’s lead. No matter what praise Taylor has bestowed upon Love, the owner’s negative tone resonates today.

Taylor, via Derek Wetmore of 1500ESPN.com

“I question Kevin if this is going to be the best deal for him because I think he’s going to be the third player on a team. I don’t think he’s going to get a lot of credit if they do really well. I think he’ll get the blame if they don’t do well. He’s going to have to learn to handle that.

“I think he’s around a couple guys are awful good. Now I’m not saying that Kevin’s not good, but I think where maybe he got away with some stuff, not playing defense on our team, I’m not sure how that’s going to work in Cleveland. So I would guess they’re going to ask him to play more defense. And he’s foul-prone,” Taylor said.

“I think Kevin, his offensive skills got better than I think we estimated. The only thing that I still have a question mark about will be his health. I had that concern then, I still have that concern and I think Cleveland should have that concern, too,” Taylor said. “If they sign him to a five-year contract like they’re thinking about, I mean that’s a big contract in a guy that’s had sometimes where he’s missed games.”

if he could do it all over again, Taylor said he would have signed Love to the five-year maximum contract in 2012.

Yes, Love must adjust to no longer being his team’s best player. That could take time, though his respect for LeBron James should help. But Love is better than Kyrie Irving. Much better – and I like Irving.

And why is Taylor just pointing out now what Love got away with in Minnesota? If Love’s defensive effort wasn’t good enough, someone should have held him accountable. It’s on Taylor to establish that organizational culture.

The owner’s specific example, being foul prone, is flat wrong. Love committed just 2.4 fouls per 100 possessions last season – 462nd fewest of 482 NBA players and the lowest mark among Timberwolves.

As far as injuries, Love played 77 games last season. Yes, he played just 18 games the year prior due to breaking his hand twice and then having knee surgery. However, I’ve never believe a player suffering injuries making him injury prone. Randomness exists. I’d be more convinced if a doctor – rather than a billionaire – evaluated Love and determined he’s predisposed to injures.

That infamous five-year contract David Kahn refused to give Love in 2012? At least Taylor realized allowing that was a mistake.

Maybe Taylor will eventually say, if he could do it all over again, he’d speak better of Love in 2014.

1. ProBasketballPundit - Aug 26, 2014 at 7:48 PM

And how did being ‘First Banana’ in Minnesota work out for Love?

I’m sure he’ll leave a trail of tears behind the championship parade through the streets of Cleveland.

• scorp16 - Aug 26, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Why would San Antonio have a parade in Cleveland?

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 26, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Haha true. I meant in two years after Duncan & Ginobili retire.

• antistratfordian - Aug 26, 2014 at 8:35 PM

San Antonio has a one title every two years maximum. It’s been mathematically proven that their repeat probability is near-zero.

• savvybynature - Aug 26, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Because your track record shows you to be so great with numbers, Anti (Spurs had a 0% chance of winning game 4 in MIami, remember? Bwahahahahaha!!!)

• antistratfordian - Aug 27, 2014 at 5:55 AM

@savvybynature

Heh. I said 0.1% chance. Besides, those calculations were based on the teams from the first two games. Had those same teams met in Games 3 and 4 – you would’ve seen that my math was correct. But Pop accounted for that 0.1% chance by throwing that the chubby curveball named Boris Diaw into the starting lineup.

Okay, in hindsight it was probably more like a 30% chance. But you have to know that anyone who says 0% or 0.1% is only exaggerating. I mean, cmon. That’s like me saying the Cavs are 100% guaranteed to win the title this year. That’s absurd. It’s only a 99% certainty.

• loungefly74 - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Of course the owner is going to say harsh words AFTER the trade. there is a reason why Minny has no banners.

on another note…Anti getting PWNED again! bwwwhahahaha!

• urallstupid - Aug 26, 2014 at 8:26 PM

love wasnt foul prone in minny cause he didnt guard people, how can you foul if you dont guard Kappa

• sportsfan18 - Aug 26, 2014 at 8:36 PM

here are some ways one may foul when they don’t guard someone…

reach in with their hands as a player goes by you

push off on a player when you’re going after a rebound

any foul a player commits while on offense since they are not guarding anyone then

• tomtravis76 - Aug 26, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Pretty ballsy to be calling parades for Central Division championships in August.

• condor75 - Aug 27, 2014 at 1:03 PM

this owner sounds a lot like the Cavs owner when LeBron left for Miami to collect his championships. Pathetic, sound like a third grader who got dissed by a girl he liked. Even all that mont doesn’t always get you your way

2. duhwighthoward - Aug 26, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Ouch!

• duhwighthoward - Aug 26, 2014 at 7:57 PM

I wonder what he has to say about Chase Budinger.

3. Kevin S. - Aug 26, 2014 at 7:57 PM

So now we know why Glen Taylor has frittered away the primes of multiple superstars in Minnesota now – he didn’t want to offend them by bringing in comparably-talented players who would challenge their banana status. Got it.

• urallstupid - Aug 26, 2014 at 8:30 PM

or those said players just didnt want to live in minnesota. i get the owner hating, but what if people just dont want to play there, is that the owner’s fault?

winning cures a lot of things but you can win in other cities.

• Kevin S. - Aug 26, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Draft well enough to have good teams. Players are staying in Portland and OKC because they’re successful. Do we really need to go through all the draft failures Minnesota has had? Yes, there was a load of snark there, but Minnesota has had a top five power forward named Kevin for eighteen of the last nineteen years and done *nothing* to put a team around either one. At some point, the only constant is Glen Taylor.

• csbanter - Aug 26, 2014 at 8:41 PM

How is it his fault if players don’t want to move their families to Minnesota ? Do you think Kevin Love would have gone to Cleveland of all places if Lebron were not there ? No one heard Love say I want to join Cleveland before Lebron came back.

4. metalhead65 - Aug 26, 2014 at 8:01 PM

wow the wolves and their fans deserve everything that is coming their way this season. and by that I mean plenty of losses. you want to complain about his defense? maybe it was because he was to busy rebounding and scoring to concentrate to much on playing all star defense. he is not as bad as the wolves want everyone to believe. I guess it was to much for somebody else to pick up up the slack on that end of the floor while he was busy doing everything else for the team. newsflash he will be playing with the best player in basketball so he will not have to do everything with the cavs. Lebron wanted to play with him for a reason which you will see while you are sitting at home again when the playoffs start.

5. carolinakitten - Aug 26, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Hahaha. The comment about “banana status” is hilarious.

• jcmeyer10 - Aug 26, 2014 at 11:28 PM

I have laughed out loud more than I should have in this thread.

• urallstupid - Aug 27, 2014 at 12:09 PM

surprised he’s not getting ripped to shreds for using “banana” when black people are involved.

6. Kevin S. - Aug 26, 2014 at 8:05 PM

By the way, Kevin Love played on a UCLA team that had Russell Westbrook, Darren Collison and Luc Richard Mbah a Moute. I’ll bet he enjoyed being on a team that went 35-4 while winning the Pac-10 regular season, the Pac-10 tournament, and making the Final Four. Those 35 wins were more than he had in any NBA season until last year. But yes, I’m sure he’ll be pissed about finally having good teammates again.

• duhwighthoward - Aug 26, 2014 at 9:05 PM

He actually played pretty good defense then. I remember he set a record for most blocks in a game against Derrick Rose’s Memphis team in the Final Four.

I wonder why he gets such a bad rap now.

• progress2011 - Aug 27, 2014 at 9:44 AM

WELL, I’m just guessing. Maybe it’s because NBA players are the most elite on the planet.

Love would still get a bunch of blocks against college players, international players, And1 guys, NBA D-League guys and guys at the local YMCA.

But when it comes to blocking the likes of Russell Westbrook, Carmello, LBJ, CP3, Blake Griffin and others….well, you simply are not gonna block their shots often!

Hope that helps with your dilemma.

• jcmeyer10 - Aug 26, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Amen. He’ll be whatever banana you want him to be.

7. isaiah007 - Aug 26, 2014 at 8:09 PM

No one compares to that A-ho*e Gilbert! Still upset that he had the nerve to write a email to the commish office about the Lakers comparing other teams to the generals and how the league had to stop these teams. So 3 years later his teams “somehow” wins the lottery every year he gets LBJ back and it’s all good. GTFOH! I hate hypocrites

• 00maltliquor - Aug 27, 2014 at 1:34 AM

Haha real talk though!

• loungefly74 - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:24 AM

the Ohio transplant in me wants the Cavs to do great. i have always rooted for them since I moved here…but the Laker fan in me wants them to fall short every time because of Gilbert’s crying about the CP3 trade. well, i’m not a hater at heart…so i will root for the Cavs. (begrudgingly)

• 00maltliquor - Aug 27, 2014 at 1:38 PM

I’m kinda in a similar situation with my Rockets (my secondary team).

I reallllly don’t like Harden and Howard, I think they are a couple of dbags and I would love to root against them, and I certainly don’t want D12 to win anything before the Lakers, but I have to still go for the organization regardless. ..begrudgingly!

• balsagna - Aug 27, 2014 at 6:59 AM

Wah.

8. Damidwesterner - Aug 26, 2014 at 8:32 PM

One might say that Love will have a ring before Taylor and the Wolves. A ring can offset a lot of banana issues.

9. csbanter - Aug 26, 2014 at 8:36 PM

“I don’t think he’s going to get a lot of credit if they do really well. I think he’ll get the blame if they don’t do well. He’s going to have to learn to handle that.” Glen Taylor

The T-Wolves owner is absolutely right. Thumbs up to him

10. seasickcecil - Aug 26, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Ouch! Looks the like that Love press conference in Cleveland burned a little bit huh Glenn?

11. hurley711 - Aug 26, 2014 at 9:09 PM

He might finish 3rd behind Irving and James when it comes to who has the bigger banana status

12. myhawks1976 - Aug 26, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Seeing how those comments were made AFTER the trade was finalized, wouldn’t commenting on a players skill set, and more notably, their potential contractual status and amount be well across the bounds of tampering?

Wonder if good ole Glenn will be getting a letter from the Commish.

13. mightbegoingtohellforthis - Aug 26, 2014 at 9:30 PM

He should be happy. It was a good trade for both teams.

14. savvybynature - Aug 26, 2014 at 9:34 PM

“Your gonna regret winning the lottery when you find out how much you’ll have to pay in taxes!!” — Minnesota Timberwolves owner

15. oakfan23 - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Not sure this thing will work. Love isn’t Dwade. Lebron’s got some miles (gonna hit 40,000 min mark early in season) gonna have to make a 5th straight finals appearance. This is gonna be hard. Lebron knows it

• bkbell3 - Aug 27, 2014 at 12:06 AM

How dare you pretend to know what lbj knows. Only anti pretends to know what lbj knows, or had for dinner,bowel movements etc. He will be along shortly to attack you for this and put you in your place.lol

16. seasickcecil - Aug 26, 2014 at 11:39 PM

I just listened to the interview with Mr. Taylor. I have never more crap from someone who wasn’t running for office.

17. mungman69 - Aug 27, 2014 at 5:55 AM

Everyone loves the Spurs right now. And after they lose in the West semis everyone will love some other team.

• 00maltliquor - Aug 27, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Truth

18. tcstunner - Aug 27, 2014 at 6:40 AM

While he probably shouldn’t have said anything it is true. Love won’t get the credit if they win and will get the blame if they lose. He’ll also get crucified if constantly complains about calls while the play is still going on, leaving his team short handed on the defensive end. Not like he’s much help on the defensive end anyway, but you gotta at least pretend to try.

19. ravenswhat - Aug 27, 2014 at 7:10 AM

Just another privileged white businessman who didn’t get his way and can’t handle it. Move along.

20. bucrightoff - Aug 27, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Wonder what the owner will say in about 5 years when it’s Wiggins demanding a trade,

21. spursareold - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:25 AM

WTF is up with these owners? Are they ALL such freaking babies?

22. cruzan80 - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:48 AM

He’s right…

23. jackvcr - Aug 27, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Shut up, Glen Taylor. Go sit down and shut up. You couldn’t put even a mediocre team around Love during the years you had him & you had a chance to sign him long term in 2012. You stink as an owner.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches