J.R. Smith: ‘I’m on pace to be one of the best shooters the game had ever seen’

Aug 26, 2014, 1:51 PM EST

Charlotte Bobcats v New York Knicks Getty Images

J.R. Smith recently said he wants to be a leader for the Knicks, and hopes that he and his fellow two-guards can “put their egos aside” when it comes to new coach Derek Fisher’s decisions on playing time at the position this season.

That last part might prove too tall a task for Smith to accomplish himself.

Confidence has never been a problem for the mercurial shooting guard who won the league’s Sixth Man of the Year just two seasons ago, before following that up with a far less successful campaign last year that included plenty of unnecessary nonsense.

Seemingly unprompted, Smith took to Instagram to make his latest declaration of greatness.

“They said I wouldn’t make it! I did! They said I wouldn’t stay! This is my 11th yr! They said you can’t shoot like that in the league! I’m on pace to be one of the best shooters the game had ever seen! Bottom line what yall say don’t me sh@$ What I do says everything! #Gone”

A cursory glance at Smith’s career numbers makes it difficult to see where he might be getting this particular piece of bravado, but I suppose if you look at the career leaderboard for three-pointers made — where Smith ranks 30th all-time — there’s a (fairly weak) case to be made.

Percentage-wise, of course, Smith is far lower on the career list, coming in at just 142nd. But Smith tends to see things a bit differently than the rest of us, and this only serves as the latest example.

1. imthedudedude - Aug 26, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Hahahahahahaha hahahaha.
    Thanks JR, I needed that today.

• spthegr8 - Aug 26, 2014 at 3:16 PM

In other news, the Weed in New York is getting STRONGER & STRONGER by the day. Commissioner Silver might want to test Jr tomorrow because, he is high AF!!

• urallstupid - Aug 26, 2014 at 3:31 PM

i actually dont know how anyone likes players like JR smith.

• trevor123698 - Aug 26, 2014 at 4:21 PM

I got a real laugh out loud laugh at that headline.

2. cbking05 - Aug 26, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Sounds like he has Diarrhea from the mouth

3. 88heatnation - Aug 26, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Is he really satisfied with his career, having the tools to be a possible franchise player with his athleticism and shot creation, at 6’6 and capable of scoring 20+ in this league, do he really feel accomplished with the horrid three point percentage for his career.

4. 00maltliquor - Aug 26, 2014 at 2:25 PM

My 1st reaction is to mock him, but if you look at this objectively…

-Every year there are 360-450 players on an NBA roster, year in and year out.

-Throughout 11 years alone, I dont know what the average life of an NBA player is (4 years?), but there are a TON of players that filter in and out.

-So in the HISTORY of this, he ranks 30 in made 3ptrs. Out of allllllllll these guys that have been in the game.

……yeah, 30 ain’t much to brag about when you talk about all-time, but for someone no one believed in that’s actually pretty impressive. Something you can tell your kids with pride.

Okay J.R., I’ll let you shine on this time…

• asimonetti88 - Aug 26, 2014 at 3:17 PM

It is impressive, but you also have to consider that he is 143th in 3P% all-time… Coming in just 1 spot below The Machine Sasha Vujacic.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 26, 2014 at 3:20 PM

And he is NOT in the top 250 all time for true shooting percentage.

I don’t know how low he is as the basketball reference dot com list stops after #250 and he isn’t among them…

• dedalus13 - Aug 27, 2014 at 2:01 AM

Not a fan but yeah I will not mock him either for once. Finally there are not so many guys who had just the opportunity to fire 3540 three-pointers in a stage like the NBA, regardless of percentage made. I m pretty sure nobody here could convince any coach to let him have a try at it… When it comes to comment on pro athletes, it seems that all these guys who are not top-ten all times in any category are just rags who should just be happy to cash-in their checks.

• mogogo1 - Aug 26, 2014 at 4:46 PM

The nobody believed in him thing is also a myth. He was a first round NBA pick coming straight out of high school and shared the MVP at the McDonald’s game with Dwight Howard. North Carolina wanted him if he decided to skip the draft. That’s not exactly toiling in the D League. He averaged 10 points a game as a rookie, was rookie of the month three times, 6th man of the year in 2013…. Nobody’s ever questioned his skills. Just his attitude.

• duhwighthoward - Aug 26, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Exactly. He failed to live up to his potential.

He is already top ten all-time three-pointers MISSED.

5. mogogo1 - Aug 26, 2014 at 2:40 PM

“They said I couldn’t sound any dumber or more self-centered. What I do says everything! #Gone”

6. divan22 - Aug 26, 2014 at 3:20 PM

“The raw number of made baskets is all that matters! Overall percentage is irrelevant!”

– JR Smith, Allen Iverson, Carmelo Anthony

7. skids003 - Aug 26, 2014 at 3:25 PM

He’s on pace to be the number one idiot of all time.

8. thenmoveback - Aug 26, 2014 at 3:25 PM

He is as delusional as the Knicks fan base

9. scrot7 - Aug 26, 2014 at 3:39 PM

I’m on pace to have the most wrinkles on my sack

10. tigershark0052 - Aug 26, 2014 at 3:45 PM

I watched him play a lot last season. He sucks!!!

11. eugenesaxe1 - Aug 26, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Pardon me stewardess, I speak jive.

12. chip56 - Aug 26, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Comments like that may prompt the league to ask him to pee in a cup again.

13. jacobknicks - Aug 26, 2014 at 8:21 PM

There’s no reason that can’t be true if he goes out and gets a gun license and some lessons

14. peralez2383 - Aug 26, 2014 at 9:36 PM

WHO???

15. chilomane - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:04 PM

This guy is a moron and is not getting any smarter

16. charlescub80 - Aug 27, 2014 at 12:02 AM

I love this clown!

17. savvybynature - Aug 27, 2014 at 12:28 AM

Maybe he took up marbles? Or heroine?
    Surely he isn’t talking about basketball.

18. sixerstrong - Aug 27, 2014 at 9:50 AM

See, that’s not cool. That was a private conversation between him and Ray Felton. And they weren’t talking about basketball….

19. reesesteel23 - Aug 27, 2014 at 12:43 PM

JR Smith: “I’m on pace to take the most FGA of any player in the history of the NBA.” *

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches