Aug 26, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
J.R. Smith recently said he wants to be a leader for the Knicks, and hopes that he and his fellow two-guards can “put their egos aside” when it comes to new coach Derek Fisher’s decisions on playing time at the position this season.
That last part might prove too tall a task for Smith to accomplish himself.
Confidence has never been a problem for the mercurial shooting guard who won the league’s Sixth Man of the Year just two seasons ago, before following that up with a far less successful campaign last year that included plenty of unnecessary nonsense.
Seemingly unprompted, Smith took to Instagram to make his latest declaration of greatness.
“They said I wouldn’t make it! I did! They said I wouldn’t stay! This is my 11th yr! They said you can’t shoot like that in the league! I’m on pace to be one of the best shooters the game had ever seen! Bottom line what yall say don’t me sh@$ What I do says everything! #Gone”
A cursory glance at Smith’s career numbers makes it difficult to see where he might be getting this particular piece of bravado, but I suppose if you look at the career leaderboard for three-pointers made — where Smith ranks 30th all-time — there’s a (fairly weak) case to be made.
Percentage-wise, of course, Smith is far lower on the career list, coming in at just 142nd. But Smith tends to see things a bit differently than the rest of us, and this only serves as the latest example.
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 0
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 5
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 8
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7