Aug 26, 2014, 1:51 PM EST
J.R. Smith recently said he wants to be a leader for the Knicks, and hopes that he and his fellow two-guards can “put their egos aside” when it comes to new coach Derek Fisher’s decisions on playing time at the position this season.
That last part might prove too tall a task for Smith to accomplish himself.
Confidence has never been a problem for the mercurial shooting guard who won the league’s Sixth Man of the Year just two seasons ago, before following that up with a far less successful campaign last year that included plenty of unnecessary nonsense.
Seemingly unprompted, Smith took to Instagram to make his latest declaration of greatness.
“They said I wouldn’t make it! I did! They said I wouldn’t stay! This is my 11th yr! They said you can’t shoot like that in the league! I’m on pace to be one of the best shooters the game had ever seen! Bottom line what yall say don’t me sh@$ What I do says everything! #Gone”
A cursory glance at Smith’s career numbers makes it difficult to see where he might be getting this particular piece of bravado, but I suppose if you look at the career leaderboard for three-pointers made — where Smith ranks 30th all-time — there’s a (fairly weak) case to be made.
Percentage-wise, of course, Smith is far lower on the career list, coming in at just 142nd. But Smith tends to see things a bit differently than the rest of us, and this only serves as the latest example.
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 4
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 10
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 19
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 50
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11