Aug 26, 2014, 10:31 AM EST
Correction: An earlier version of this article said the Jazz signed Erik Murphy. They signed Kevin Murphy.
The Jazz drafted Kevin Murphy No. 47 in 2012, kept him for a season and then last summer traded him to the Warriors, who waived him.
But Utah isn’t finished with the shooting guard out of Tennessee Tech who has since spent time overseas and in the D-League.
Eric Pincus of Basketball Insiders:
At $840,000, Murphy will make a little more than his minimum ($816,482). Likewise, Dee Bost and Jack Cooley will each make $525,000 – a little more than their $507,336 minimums.
But it’s likely most of those contracts won’t last past training camp. It’s the guarantees that matter most here, and $65,000 is a nice payday for players of that caliber.
Bost (undrafted out of Mississippi State in 2012), Cooley (undrafted out of Notre Dame in 2013) and Motum (undrafted out of Washington State in 2013) have no NBA experience.
The Jazz have 13 guaranteed contracts plus Murphy, Bost, Cooley and Motum. So, Utah could keep between zero and four of them.
Three – maybe four – of them could get waived by the Jazz and then sent directly to the Idaho Stampede, Utah’s D-League affiliate. However, any NBA team could sign those waived players to an NBA contract. This would just give the Jazz greater control of the players’ development, and perhaps a little loyalty, in the interim.
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 3
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 2
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 33
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 30
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6