Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica

Aug 26, 2014, 3:27 PM EST

Jared Dudley Jared Dudley

Jared Dudley and J.J. Redick were supposed to be the missing links for the Clippers.

Instead, in his first season in Los Angeles, Dudley had the worst year of his career. The Clippers tried to unload him at the trade deadline to no avail.

Finally, Doc Rivers has unloaded the forward.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:

Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica actually combine to make $4.75 million – slightly more than Dudley, who is set to make $4.25 million each of the next two years.

The big difference: Delfino and Raduljica both have fully unguaranteed 2015-16 salaries, and Dudley’s is fully guaranteed (with an early termination option).

So, the Clippers – unless they really like Raduljica, who made decent contributions as a 26-year-old rookie center last season – won’t see immediate benefits of the trade. Maybe they can flip Delfino and/or Raduljica for a player on a longer contract, but at minimum, the Clippers will have more flexibility next summer. (Update: Wojnarowski deleted a tweet saying Delfino would miss the season. If he’s healthy, he could help the Clippers on the wing.)

Until then, the hard-capped Clippers are now just $649,228 beneath their salary limit. Because of rules related to computing team salary in relation to the hard cap, the Clippers essentially have no room left to sign free agents, though they could trade for a drafted second-round rookie who is making $649,228 or less.

That’s not a long list, so don’t expect the Clippers to change much more before the season begins. The 13 players have now are likely the 13 they roll with.

The Clippers already owe the Celtics their 2015 first rounder, meaning this pick can’t be transferred until 2017 at the earliest. So, again, the Clippers’ flexibility is limited.

Either they really like Raduljica or they really wanted to dump Dudley.

For Milwaukee, this is a good way to add an asset – the draft pick, not Dudley. With or without Dudley, the Bucks probably aren’t going anywhere this season. So, they might as well take Dudley and the pick.

1. djshnooks - Aug 26, 2014 at 4:04 PM

The fact the NBA treats 1st round draft picks like they are worthless, should say maybe it’s time to make those draft picks stay in school a little longer to develop their game and pay-off as a real draft pick that would otherwise be traded like this, in a worthless trade for worthless players.

It’s watered down the competition in the league, and made the draft pointless.

(I’m sure I didn’t explain this how I wanted, so I apologize for that, but I think you can understand the point I’m trying to make.)

• shaggytoodle - Aug 26, 2014 at 4:27 PM

In case you are trying to compare 1st round picks in the NBA “value” as they are in the NFL you can’t. They are completely different.

The NBA Lottery picks, talent wise is equal to about the first 2-3 rounds of the NFL. I agree that the league tried stretching its talent too far with expansion teams in the league and playoffs.

I am glad the Bucks picked up Dudley, I remember watching him at BC and thinking he could be a decent player in the NBA. Hopefully he can help the Bucks be more competitive this year.

• 00maltliquor - Aug 26, 2014 at 4:57 PM

And how are 1st round picks worthless again??

They are like gold in the NBA. Where are you coming up with this?

• duhwighthoward - Aug 26, 2014 at 9:10 PM

You can’t deny a man the right to work when the employer wants to hire him.

The bad teams get the best picks, draft the best players out of high school, and let them “develop” throughout their rookie contract while the losses pile up.

Then when the players are in their early 20’s, they leave the bad teams and sign with the Lakers.

• muhangis - Aug 27, 2014 at 3:23 AM

duhwight howard is finally right for once. Congrats bro!

• muhangis - Aug 27, 2014 at 3:24 AM

The only place where NBA 1st rd picks are worthless is in your mind. There are many rookies every year (exception of last year) who come out and make a huge impact in the NBA!

• bougin89 - Aug 27, 2014 at 1:09 PM

You must not follow the NFL. See Redskins(RGIII trade) and the Cowboys(Jerry Jones loves him some WR’s). They should provide enough examples right there but if you look a little more you’ll find more.

2. therealbigben - Aug 26, 2014 at 4:30 PM

How I Imagine the inner workings of the Milwaukee Bucks Front Office:

“Delfino? I wish we had him 3 years ago.”

“We did.”

“6 years ago then.”

End Scene

• sellahh - Aug 26, 2014 at 5:05 PM

This trade is lesser garbage for garbage and a 1st, Bucks win imo.

3. sellahh - Aug 26, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Dudley? The guy who was supposed to change the Clippers from a perennial 1st/2nd round exit to a chip contender? The guy they got for Eric Bledose?
    Oh my this Doc Rivers must be something else as GM.

• 00maltliquor - Aug 26, 2014 at 5:01 PM

That was easily one of the most lopsided trades in recent memory, in the favor of PHX. It’s like they went to take out the trash and on the way to the curb found a $100 bill laying on the sidewalk.

• muhangis - Aug 27, 2014 at 3:29 AM

Doc Rivers is not a good GM. Typically most current coaches don’t make good current GMs, they are too narrowly thinking of recruiting players within their own strategy, subsiding players with better overall talent and skill, and youth.

4. cameltoehoe - Aug 26, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Another terrible FO move from a terrible Franchise. Same Ol’ Clips if you ask me.

5. jerdogthompson - Aug 26, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Not sure who wins the prize as most ignorant poster of the day between, sellahh, malt or camelhoe

First, we didn’t get Dudley for Bledsoe. Secondly, we couldn’t afford to pay Bledsoe as a backup (he’s balking at 4/48 now). Yeah, Phx really made out like a bandit. They have a disgruntled star that is seeing his trade value diminish each day as the divide between Phx and he grows wider, yep much like finding a 100 billion, moron. Last I checked they didn’t make the playoffs either.

Last and certainly least, seeing how you clearly don’t understand let me explain. The likelihood of CD or MR playing for the Clippers this year is about 1%. Secondly, neither of their contracts are guaranteed. Third, the Clippers can use the stretch provision on CD and spread his contract out allowing them to pick up another player. Or conversely, they can waive both CD & MR and go get two more players. Lastly, that “protected” 1st round we gave up is “protected” for a reason toolio. Oh yeah, we got back that 2nd round pick we gave to the Bucs as part of the JJ trade. That one is unprotected.

Oh by the way, what happened to the gang of trolls(fakehtj,hardonforharden,qball,et al) that bashed me for predicting a “new owner” for the Clippers by the end of August? Its a shame, I liked slaying those fools for the entertainment of fellow PBT readers. Looks like you three are next on the docket.

#InDocwetrust

• duhwighthoward - Aug 26, 2014 at 9:13 PM

The Clippers sure missed Eric Bledsoe when Russel Westbrook was carving them up. How did Jared Dudley play in that series? Remind me, please.

• 00maltliquor - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:48 PM

And also to add on to that, no matter how it ends up for the Suns with Bledsoe, at the end of the day all they lost was DUDley. That’s it!

You guys just gave up a 1st (who cares if it’s protected) to discard of him. That say a lot. Especially since SF is the one position you guys need the most. PHX made out like BANDITS!

BANDITS!!!

• muhangis - Aug 27, 2014 at 3:34 AM

jerdog, you are using plain hindsight in bringing up Bledsoe’s current contract situation. None of these parties knew or foretold any of that at the time, not LAC not PHX, and you especially sure didn’t …. so don’t come out with that hindsight b.s – cause it played into nothing AT THE TIME!

All LAC and Doc Rivers was thinking, trade youth for veteran play.. Rivers loves his veterans. This guy should not be a GM though

6. csbanter - Aug 26, 2014 at 7:17 PM

In other news a team that know one cares about because they don’t have a big 3 just signed a scrub.

7. jerdogthompson - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:13 PM

The clippers were one bad call and a removed DTS from the team from taking that series. It’s a new season, just sit back and relax to see what the Clippers are truly capable of without that dark cloud “shleprock” called Donald V’s a beard Sterling.

8. jerdogthompson - Aug 27, 2014 at 12:28 AM

Next to be slayed, malt. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

The simple fact it’s protected means we likely keep the pick toolio. Those things get handed out like hand lotion at a……..

But I see the attempt to incite, keep trying toolio, I see you’ve given up your other screen names or is that just temporary. Until the stinging from the last slaying has subsided?

#InDocwetrust

• 00maltliquor - Aug 27, 2014 at 2:08 AM

Your midget brain could never slay me! LOL

What other screen names you think I am?? I’m just the same ol’ 00maltliquor I’ve always been, ‘cept for that two week period where I fell in love with Miller Fortune and went 00millerfortune for s hitz n gigs.

I see you can’t come up with a good rebutal to my responses either! I know 1 of the 2 I sent you got blocked so I don’t know which one it is you can actually see.

• muhangis - Aug 27, 2014 at 3:37 AM

I can attest, 00maltliquor has been around here for a long time, like me (maybe longer)

9. onlyavoice - Aug 27, 2014 at 5:24 AM

The Clips only real chance to win is to trade Rivers.
    Thibs was the one who actually took the Celts to a championship, not Rivers.
    Since Thibs signed with the Bulls, Doc has been out coached every post season.
    Doc was 1 of the worse coaches in the league before 2008.
    Clips aren’t winning anything with Doc as coach & GM.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches