Aug 26, 2014, 3:27 PM EDT
Instead, in his first season in Los Angeles, Dudley had the worst year of his career. The Clippers tried to unload him at the trade deadline to no avail.
Finally, Doc Rivers has unloaded the forward.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica actually combine to make $4.75 million – slightly more than Dudley, who is set to make $4.25 million each of the next two years.
The big difference: Delfino and Raduljica both have fully unguaranteed 2015-16 salaries, and Dudley’s is fully guaranteed (with an early termination option).
So, the Clippers – unless they really like Raduljica, who made decent contributions as a 26-year-old rookie center last season – won’t see immediate benefits of the trade. Maybe they can flip Delfino and/or Raduljica for a player on a longer contract, but at minimum, the Clippers will have more flexibility next summer. (Update: Wojnarowski deleted a tweet saying Delfino would miss the season. If he’s healthy, he could help the Clippers on the wing.)
Until then, the hard-capped Clippers are now just $649,228 beneath their salary limit. Because of rules related to computing team salary in relation to the hard cap, the Clippers essentially have no room left to sign free agents, though they could trade for a drafted second-round rookie who is making $649,228 or less.
That’s not a long list, so don’t expect the Clippers to change much more before the season begins. The 13 players have now are likely the 13 they roll with.
The Clippers already owe the Celtics their 2015 first rounder, meaning this pick can’t be transferred until 2017 at the earliest. So, again, the Clippers’ flexibility is limited.
Either they really like Raduljica or they really wanted to dump Dudley.
For Milwaukee, this is a good way to add an asset – the draft pick, not Dudley. With or without Dudley, the Bucks probably aren’t going anywhere this season. So, they might as well take Dudley and the pick.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 19
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 7
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 34
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 24
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2