Aug 26, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Boxing icon Manny Pacquiao is so big in his native Philippines that whatever he wants, he gets. He wants to be a senator, he gets voted in.
He also coaches a professional basketball team, the Kia Motors team. I guess he does that in between his senatorial duties and training to put his World Boxing Organization welterweight title on the line against Chris Algieri on November 23 in Macau.
All that wasn’t enough, apparently. He wanted to go full Bill Russell player/coach approach so he drafted himself. At age 35. Here’s the report via the Los Angeles Times.
That’s right. With the 10th overall pick in the 2014 Philippine Basketball Assn. rookie draft, Kia Motors selected its coach. Apparently, the plan all along was for Pacquiao to serve as a player-coach, but he needed to go through the draft in order to make that happen….
Continuing to focus on the familiar, Kia Motors went on to select its coach’s cousin, Rene Pacquiao, in the third round. Rene played at Southwestern University of Cebu and spent time in the Philippines’ D-League.
I don’t see what could possibly go wrong here.
I do know Manny Pacquiao is a huge basketball, specifically Boston Celtics, fan. He had a fight scheduled the night of Game 7 between the Celtics and Heat a couple years ago and wouldn’t step into the ring until it was over (he then took the distaste of that outcome out on his opponent).
My knowledge of the Philippines league is limited, but I know a marketing ploy when I see one. And when you make marketing moves over smart moves, well, your minor league baseball. But whatever sells tickets.
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 42
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 59
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 47
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 26
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 23