Aug 26, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Boxing icon Manny Pacquiao is so big in his native Philippines that whatever he wants, he gets. He wants to be a senator, he gets voted in.
He also coaches a professional basketball team, the Kia Motors team. I guess he does that in between his senatorial duties and training to put his World Boxing Organization welterweight title on the line against Chris Algieri on November 23 in Macau.
All that wasn’t enough, apparently. He wanted to go full Bill Russell player/coach approach so he drafted himself. At age 35. Here’s the report via the Los Angeles Times.
That’s right. With the 10th overall pick in the 2014 Philippine Basketball Assn. rookie draft, Kia Motors selected its coach. Apparently, the plan all along was for Pacquiao to serve as a player-coach, but he needed to go through the draft in order to make that happen….
Continuing to focus on the familiar, Kia Motors went on to select its coach’s cousin, Rene Pacquiao, in the third round. Rene played at Southwestern University of Cebu and spent time in the Philippines’ D-League.
I don’t see what could possibly go wrong here.
I do know Manny Pacquiao is a huge basketball, specifically Boston Celtics, fan. He had a fight scheduled the night of Game 7 between the Celtics and Heat a couple years ago and wouldn’t step into the ring until it was over (he then took the distaste of that outcome out on his opponent).
My knowledge of the Philippines league is limited, but I know a marketing ploy when I see one. And when you make marketing moves over smart moves, well, your minor league baseball. But whatever sells tickets.
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 4
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 16
- FIBA World Cup USA vs. Serbia preview: Serbia no pushover but Americans should grab gold 4
- France beats Lithuania to win World Cup bronze 6
- Carmelo Anthony says nobody would want to play for Hawks 20
- Rudy Gay upset over ‘dirty play’ that caused him to suffer a fractured jaw in Team USA’s win over Lithuania 17
- Serbia holds off furious French comeback, wins to advance to gold medal game vs. USA 4
- Hawks GM Danny Ferry releases statement on his leave of absence, apologizes again 6