Aug 25, 2014, 9:49 PM EDT
The triangle offense is coming to New York and we should make one thing clear to Knicks fans — it takes at least a season for players to really learn the system, to learn the proper reads and reactions, to see the benefits of the offense. For example, when Phil Jackson first took over the Shaq/Kobe Lakers the offense actually had the exact same points per possessions as the season before (they won the title because the defense improved to league’s best). It’s going to take time.
The question is does Carmelo Anthony fit in the triangle?
ESPNNewYork.com’s Ian Begley asked a long-time Atlantic Division scout about that and he said ‘Melo should be a good fit — with some caveats.
“I think he’s skilled enough and I think he’s smart enough. I think he’ll fit very well….
“He’s got to bring the whole package [to make the triangle work]. He’s gotta be a team player, he’s got to cut harder and he’s got to move the ball. He’s going to have to do a lot of things that he isn’t known for doing…
“For them to have success, he’s going to have to be a willing passer. That offense is predicated on spacing and ball movement and he can’t hold the ball like he has on previous occasions. So he’s got to pass the ball.”
Bottom line, you have to move the ball and move off the ball. Anthony has shown flashes of this kind of play when with Team USA in the past, surrounded by the world’s best players. Guys he trusted. This is different — he has to lift the rest of the guys up. He has to set the example, play the system the right way and be vocal when needed. Then just shake his head at J.R. Smith sometimes.
Anthony’s post skills should fit well in the triangle. His ability to space the floor with shooting will be a great fit. It doesn’t hurt he can take guys off the dribble now and again. He has the skills.
The question with Anthony will be mental.
And it’s going to take time.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 0
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 30
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16