Aug 25, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
For weeks Shabazz Muhammad has been doing a daily boot camp run by a guy who used to train Navy SEALS. Which sounds like it would get you in shape.
Muhammad needs it. Conditioning was one of the issues that limited his minutes on the Timberwolves last season, but with an influx of young talent — starting with Andrew Wiggins and Zach LaVine — Muhammad is going to get another long look from the Wolves. One he needs to take advantage of.
Speaking with the media in the wake of trading Kevin Love and bringing back Wiggins, Thaddeus Young and Anthony Bennett, Minnesota coach and decision maker Flip Saunders said this to Jerry Zgoda of the Star Tribune.
Muhammad was on a short leash by coach Rick Adelman at the start of last season (especially after an incident at the NBA’s rookie training program). First, they already had Kevin Martin, Corey Brewer, and Chase Budinger to play the wings, and when the season started Minnesota was thinking playoffs. Muhammad got sent down to the D-League for a few games.
As the season wore on we learned a couple things — Muhammad can slash and get inside, and he’s a good post up player. We also learned that he has no jump shot anyone will fear (27.3 percent from three, 28.6 percent on catch-and-shoot chances) and he’s adjusting to not playing AAU-style ball (his court awareness on both ends of the floor, especially when he doesn’t have the ball, needs work). Also, his defense needs a lot of work.
Muhammad is out to show a lot of improvement this season, and that had to start with conditioning (he looked a little doughy). Part of his attraction is hustle and effort, there dropping a few pounds helps.
With this roster Muhammad will get his shot, and he could play some four in a small lineup Saunders said. However there are other guys looking to do the same and Muhammad will have to show improvement and beat them out or his minutes will dwindle.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 3
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 9
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4