Aug 25, 2014, 10:33 AM EST
For weeks Shabazz Muhammad has been doing a daily boot camp run by a guy who used to train Navy SEALS. Which sounds like it would get you in shape.
Muhammad needs it. Conditioning was one of the issues that limited his minutes on the Timberwolves last season, but with an influx of young talent — starting with Andrew Wiggins and Zach LaVine — Muhammad is going to get another long look from the Wolves. One he needs to take advantage of.
Speaking with the media in the wake of trading Kevin Love and bringing back Wiggins, Thaddeus Young and Anthony Bennett, Minnesota coach and decision maker Flip Saunders said this to Jerry Zgoda of the Star Tribune.
Muhammad was on a short leash by coach Rick Adelman at the start of last season (especially after an incident at the NBA’s rookie training program). First, they already had Kevin Martin, Corey Brewer, and Chase Budinger to play the wings, and when the season started Minnesota was thinking playoffs. Muhammad got sent down to the D-League for a few games.
As the season wore on we learned a couple things — Muhammad can slash and get inside, and he’s a good post up player. We also learned that he has no jump shot anyone will fear (27.3 percent from three, 28.6 percent on catch-and-shoot chances) and he’s adjusting to not playing AAU-style ball (his court awareness on both ends of the floor, especially when he doesn’t have the ball, needs work). Also, his defense needs a lot of work.
Muhammad is out to show a lot of improvement this season, and that had to start with conditioning (he looked a little doughy). Part of his attraction is hustle and effort, there dropping a few pounds helps.
With this roster Muhammad will get his shot, and he could play some four in a small lineup Saunders said. However there are other guys looking to do the same and Muhammad will have to show improvement and beat them out or his minutes will dwindle.
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 13
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 29
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 21
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13
- Anderson Varejao leaves Cavaliers game with foot injury not to return, MRI Wednesday 5
- Report: Rockets ‘very confident’ they’ll land Josh Smith 19
- Report: Sixers want Andrei Kirilenko to report to team, prepare to play 16