Aug 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Michael Beasley, the former No. 2 overall pick, is just 25. These should be his prime money-earning years.
Instead, it’s been a rough summer for the free agent.
Despite early reports of several teams holding interest, Beasley hasn’t drawn much outside of a workout with the Lakers. He remains unsigned as options that pay more than a minimum salary have nearly completely dried up. The Heat even gave his number to Shawne Williams.
Those who have seen Beasley up close just aren’t impressed. LeBron James’ dissatisfaction became clear on the way out the door, and those still running Miami aren’t optimistic, either.
A person with direct knowledge cited several reasons for the Heat’s lack of interest: Inconsistency, lack of trust in his defense (and ability to execute the Heat’s defensive system), and maturity/focus issues, which are still a concern even though he improved somewhat in that regard last season.
It’s not difficult to read between the lines and see these issues from afar. Beasley played just 23 minutes in the playoffs, 17 of them in a Game 4 blowout loss to the Spurs in the Finals. The Heat just didn’t trust him.
Many teams let a player like Beasley walk. A smaller segment of them besmirch the player on his way out.
That a source put those concerns on the record, even anonymously, takes the situation to another level. These revelations, long suspected and a step closer to becoming confirmed, will make it more difficult for Beasley to get signed.
Not that he had an easy road in the first place.
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 11
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 26
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9