Aug 25, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
Team USA is absolutely stacked at point guard.
Both have allies on the coaching staff. Irving played for Team USA head coach Mike Krzyzewski at Duke, and Rose plays for Team USA assistant Tom Thibodeau with the Bulls.
So who will win the position battle?
Kyrie Irving will start opposite Goran Dragic at point guard Tuesday night when Team USA plays Slovenia in its final tuneup game leading into the FIBA World Cup.
But Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski, in tabbing Irving as his starter against the Dragic-led Slovenians, told ESPN.com that one option under consideration is letting Irving and Derrick Rose trade off as the starter throughout the tournament, which opens Saturday in Bilbao with the Yanks facing Finland.
“We’ll see as thing goes on,” Krzyzewski said after Monday’s two-hour practice. “We might alternate ’em. Both of them are going to play significant minutes.”
I wouldn’t really read much into Irving starting against Slovenia. Andre Drummond and DeMar DeRozan received DNP-CDs in a friendly against Brazil, and that seemed to foreshadow them getting cut. But both made the roster.
It still seems 50-50 between Irving and Rose once the World Cup begins, and I trust Krzyzewski that both will receive plenty of playing time. There’s probably no wrong answer when it comes to picking a starter.
Team USA’s backcourt is ridiculously strong regardless.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30