Kevin Love billboard goes up in Cleveland (photo)

Aug 25, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT

Kevin Love Kevin Love

Kevin Love is hardly anonymous. A three-time All-Star, two-time All-NBA second teamer and gold medalist in the 2012 Olympics, Love has received plenty of recognition.

But playing in Minnesota, he’s flown under the radar more than a player of his stature would have elsewhere.

Now, joining LeBron James in Cleveland, Love will receive attention like never before.

Take this billboard going up in Cleveland (hat tip: Rick Grayshock of Waiting For Next Year):

Let’s be clear. This is just an advertisement. This is not the Cavaliers or Love doing anything to raise expectations.

But that will be the result.

As Love gains stature, the championship-or-bust talk that surrounded Cleveland since LeBron’s return will only intensify. Love has played like a superstar, and now he’s increasingly getting recognized as one. That comes with expectations.

1. balsagna - Aug 25, 2014 at 2:47 PM

That certainly didn’t take long.

• avb300 - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:25 PM

I’m definitely taking a road trip to Cleveland this season. Never thought I’d say that in my life!

• balsagna - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Cleveland has a lot to offer. Go there with an open mind and it will surprise you.

• avb300 - Aug 25, 2014 at 10:32 PM

It prob does. But I’m guessing I would have heard about it by now.

2. kobeoverlebron - Aug 25, 2014 at 2:49 PM

kevin Lame!!!

• sportsfan18 - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Lame is thinking Kobe is better than Lebron…

and I’m NOT a Lebron fan at all…

3. 00maltliquor - Aug 25, 2014 at 2:55 PM

“Yes we did”!

Please tell me Cleveland is going to do a theatrical pep rally complete with LeBron predicting how many multiple rings the new Big 3 will accumulate! Please make it so!

• bkbell3 - Aug 26, 2014 at 3:26 AM

That’s why they call it a PEP RALLY to fire up the fans. They were asked how many chips they wanted to win and lbj said not one,not 2 and he and wade started giggling and laughing and said not 3-4-5-6.It was in fun and for, again, the, you know, PEP RALLY. people need to get over blowing that up when it was said at a PEP RALLY.smh Also not a heat or lbj fan.

• 00maltliquor - Aug 26, 2014 at 4:13 AM

Well I DO like LBJ and I LOVED The Decision AND the “pep rally”. What’s your point??

• bkbell3 - Aug 26, 2014 at 4:25 AM

I think my point was pretty clear that the people who keep whining about it, {which it seems to NOT include you} need to get over it. The way you wrote it it seemed as though you were complaining about it like these guys who bash lbj at every chance they get instead of appreciating a great basketball player.And again i’m not a huge fan of him personally or anything just like good basketball.

• 00maltliquor - Aug 26, 2014 at 4:37 AM

Well, to be fair I was kinda being a troll but you are so right, people need to get over it. I did love all of the nonsense that came with LBJ leaving originally so I was really being serious. I know it’s a fine line between trolling and being honest but I somehow make it work. Lol!!

4. csbanter - Aug 25, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Whine your way off a bad team, team up with 2 all stars the perfect recipe for a “Faux Champion”. Even if the Cavaliers win an NBA championship what does that add to Kevin Love legacy.

He joined forces with one of the NBA all-time greatest players and helped them win 60 games in a very weak conference.

Let’s go to the playgrounds and look for the next Kevin Love. Or better yet “if I can be like Kevin”, look out for the McDonalds commercials.

I think you get the drift Love winning a championship won’t change anything in the grand scheme of things except make it possible for the next whiner to do the same thing…..Anthony Davis ????????

• ecnuob51 - Aug 25, 2014 at 3:34 PM

You’re already saying Anthony Davis is a whiner? You have serious problems.
      What would you have done if you were Kevin love? Stay in Minnesota, a team that shows no interest in progress? He’s never made the playoffs and it wasn’t because of lack of effort. If they win a title Kevin love will be a champion no matter what you think. You can’t tell me one player in the past 50 years who’s won a title alone so please stop with that lame argument.

• csbanter - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:24 PM

It looks as though someone just bought a Kevin Love Cavs jersey,aww isn’t that nice defending your hero, don’t get salty. Kevin Love won’t be the reason why Cleveland wins a championship. #23 is the driving force, but good luck trying to beat the Bulls this year !

• ecnuob51 - Aug 25, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Umm I’m not a cavs fan I just know good basketball. And it seems like you’re the salty one cause I’m not the one making hate comments. And I’m actually pulling for the bulls this year, I’m just not ignorant and throw hate on players for no good reason.
        Great how you still can’t justify that Anthony Davis comment either.

• antistratfordian - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:10 PM

“Even if the Cavaliers win an NBA championship what does that add to Kevin Love’s legacy.”

Uh… a championship?

• csbanter - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:23 PM

@antistratfordian Where is all this “poor Kevin Love he must win a championship crap coming from”. Are you from Cleveland ? I will understand if you say yes. It must be tough to be so thirsty for championships. Love is not an all time great and never will be so him winning a championship is as irrelevant as Matt Bonner doing the same with San Antonio.

• antistratfordian - Aug 25, 2014 at 10:23 PM

It’s nothing about “poor Kevin Love” anything. But if he wins a championship, then a championship will be added to his legacy.

We can disagree about whether Love will be an all-time great, that’s fine with me – there are people in the Hall of Fame that I don’t think should be there too – but a championship for K.Love definitely isn’t going to hurt his chances.

• 00maltliquor - Aug 26, 2014 at 4:20 AM

@ csbanter

Ya know ya done effed up bringing Matt Bonner in this, right?

5. csbanter - Aug 25, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Oh yeah so what if he’s a Wendy’s spokesman , for all the smart a$$es ready to remind me.

• 00maltliquor - Aug 25, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Lol!!

6. timberwolvesbrisin - Aug 25, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Cavs are one knuckle push up away from the 5th seed. Why havent the media mentioned Love being injury-prone?

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 25, 2014 at 5:59 PM

The knuckle pushups were part of your team’s training program. Good luck with your bumblewolves.

7. harshedmellow - Aug 25, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Kevin Love > Chris Bosh

2014 Kyrie Irving > 2014 Dwayne Wade

If LBJ holds true to the norm he has several years of peak production remaining.

You do the math.

• 00maltliquor - Aug 25, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Truth^

• sportsfan18 - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Well the Cavs are more than happy with it because it’s free advertising for them that they didn’t have to pay a dollar for.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:37 PM

That’s why Lebron went back…

he traded in his two old all stars for two younger, more spry models…

8. canadatude - Aug 25, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Love and Irving can’t play D. Not team players. No I in team. All they ever did was pad their stats on poor teams where they could not lead.

• bkbell3 - Aug 26, 2014 at 3:39 AM

The warriors had a top 5 defense last year and who, other that iggy is a good defender on that team when their center was out all year? If the coach can come up with a good defensive scheme and they play team defense it can overcome their short comings. Also the vast majority of players the last 3 years for the bulls were really bad defenders{ see boozer,nate,dunleavy,k.korver etc.} and tibbs came up with a great system and a top defense.

• 00maltliquor - Aug 26, 2014 at 4:26 AM

I hate that “no I in team”.

You know there’s an i in win right?

Look, I’m all about the team, trust me. It’s just a baaaad argument, that’s all.

• ecnuob51 - Aug 26, 2014 at 11:00 AM

I hate the argument of players padding their stats on bad teams. That’s actually not true at all. When any team came to play the twolves all the focus was on one person when teams came to play the cavs all the focus was on one person. Now basketball will be much easier for love and Irving

9. seasickcecil - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Last time I checked Irving and Love were playing with Lebron James. Leading is not necessary.

10. undeadjesus - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:51 PM

I like how he has his hands in his pants pockets. It’s a good representation of his approach to playing defense.

11. MiaMarino - Aug 26, 2014 at 9:46 AM

So now that we know that LbJ is ‘win now” mode, the same intense pressure (WIN or your a failure) will be applied to Cleve’s ver of Big 3. No double standard.

12. rgledz - Aug 26, 2014 at 11:17 AM

What a terrible looking city. Enjoy the armpit of America Kevin.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches