Aug 25, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
When last we saw NBA 32-year-old NBA journeyman Hakim Warrick it was 2013 and he had spent the first part of the season in New Orleans and Charlotte, barely getting on the court for some struggling teams, then he was traded to Orlando, who waived him two days later. Last season he played in China.
When last we saw the San Antonio Spurs, they had won the NBA title in 2014, then went about bringing back nearly the entire roster that has been to two straight Finals.
Now comes word Warrick is trying to get invited to Spurs camp and maybe grab that last available roster spot in San Antonio. That according to syracuse.com (remember Warrick played for the Orangemen).
The former Syracuse University star confirmed Friday that he had been invited to a workout with the reigning NBA champions. Warrick will have his workout with the Spurs on Sept. 1.
Not sure anything comes of this.
First, the Spurs have 14 guys under contract for next season and as an organization they tend to leave the 15th spot open for flexibility reasons during the season. Second, the Spurs already have a non-guaranteed deal with Bryce Cotton for next season. Then there is Aron Baynes, who was on the roster last year and could return to the Spurs on a minimum deal but is reportedly exploring his overseas options right now.
Warrick is a veteran who brings a certain level of professionalism to the table, which is very Spurs-like. But I’m not sure he still brings anything on the court they need enough to make them pull the trigger even if the workout goes fairly well.
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 0
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 26
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 22
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 26