Aug 25, 2014, 8:44 AM EST
When last we saw NBA 32-year-old NBA journeyman Hakim Warrick it was 2013 and he had spent the first part of the season in New Orleans and Charlotte, barely getting on the court for some struggling teams, then he was traded to Orlando, who waived him two days later. Last season he played in China.
When last we saw the San Antonio Spurs, they had won the NBA title in 2014, then went about bringing back nearly the entire roster that has been to two straight Finals.
Now comes word Warrick is trying to get invited to Spurs camp and maybe grab that last available roster spot in San Antonio. That according to syracuse.com (remember Warrick played for the Orangemen).
The former Syracuse University star confirmed Friday that he had been invited to a workout with the reigning NBA champions. Warrick will have his workout with the Spurs on Sept. 1.
Not sure anything comes of this.
First, the Spurs have 14 guys under contract for next season and as an organization they tend to leave the 15th spot open for flexibility reasons during the season. Second, the Spurs already have a non-guaranteed deal with Bryce Cotton for next season. Then there is Aron Baynes, who was on the roster last year and could return to the Spurs on a minimum deal but is reportedly exploring his overseas options right now.
Warrick is a veteran who brings a certain level of professionalism to the table, which is very Spurs-like. But I’m not sure he still brings anything on the court they need enough to make them pull the trigger even if the workout goes fairly well.
- Paul Pierce ‘shocked’ by Celtics trade of Rajon Rondo to Mavericks 0
- Kobe Bryant will return to Lakers lineup Sunday vs. Suns 9
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 25
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 19
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 12
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6