Aug 25, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
When last we saw NBA 32-year-old NBA journeyman Hakim Warrick it was 2013 and he had spent the first part of the season in New Orleans and Charlotte, barely getting on the court for some struggling teams, then he was traded to Orlando, who waived him two days later. Last season he played in China.
When last we saw the San Antonio Spurs, they had won the NBA title in 2014, then went about bringing back nearly the entire roster that has been to two straight Finals.
Now comes word Warrick is trying to get invited to Spurs camp and maybe grab that last available roster spot in San Antonio. That according to syracuse.com (remember Warrick played for the Orangemen).
The former Syracuse University star confirmed Friday that he had been invited to a workout with the reigning NBA champions. Warrick will have his workout with the Spurs on Sept. 1.
Not sure anything comes of this.
First, the Spurs have 14 guys under contract for next season and as an organization they tend to leave the 15th spot open for flexibility reasons during the season. Second, the Spurs already have a non-guaranteed deal with Bryce Cotton for next season. Then there is Aron Baynes, who was on the roster last year and could return to the Spurs on a minimum deal but is reportedly exploring his overseas options right now.
Warrick is a veteran who brings a certain level of professionalism to the table, which is very Spurs-like. But I’m not sure he still brings anything on the court they need enough to make them pull the trigger even if the workout goes fairly well.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 7
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4