Aug 24, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Dallas has depth for this coming season that it has lacked the last couple. This summer they added needed shot blocking with Tyson Chandler in the paint and athleticism with Chandler Parsons at the three (he can play some four if you go small), plus at the point hopefully the three-headed point guard rotation of Jameer Nelson/Devin Harris/Raymond Felton (with Gal Mekel) can give steady minutes.
Dallas is a lot better team than they were last year when what they had with Monta Ellis and Dirk Nowitizki was enough to take the Spurs to seven games in the first round. Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has talked about loving that depth.
What Cuban really wants is some pressure taken off the Ellis/Nowtizki pick-and-roll, and off Nowitzki himself. Offensive diversity that is needed to win it all, something Cuban said in an interview on KRLD-FM 105.3 The Fan Friday, as transcribed by the Dallas Morning News (hat tip Eye on Basketball).
“That is really the hope. Part of the lesson that we proved when we won and what San Antonio proved was that it wasn’t [Tim] Duncan getting that last-minute hoop. It was Patty Mills and Danny Green. Anybody was in a position to contribute. Manu Giniboli didn’t have a great last series, he did against us, but not afterwards. They were a good team. They moved the ball and got the open shot and they were smart. Literally in the Finals Patty Mills is sprinting up and hitting pull-up threes. It was almost like Nellie-ball. The lesson there isn’t can just one guy carry the load, but it’s can one team carry the load.”
Don Nelson was an innovator in a lot of ways. We shouldn’t forget that.
There are a lot of questions about Dallas this season but they have more options now. Parsons knocks down corner threes well and gets out in transition. Chandler is still strong on the pick-and-roll as a finisher in transition. Nelson is strong on the pick-and-roll as a point guard and knows how to be a floor general.
Dallas has options, which is more than they had last year. With an improved defense they could be top four in the West and have a playoff round after that. This doesn’t seem as good as the 2011 title team from Dallas, but then again that team’s whole was more than the sum of its parts. Cuban is counting on that again.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 3
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 9
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4