Aug 23, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Once the clock struck 12:01 a.m. ET on August 23 and the long-since-agreed-to Kevin Love trade to the Cavaliers could be completed, the team wasted no time in making merchandise available — some of which included brand new Love Cavs jerseys, which displayed the number zero.
But this was no placeholder or temporary solution until something more concrete could be put into place.
Buried in the team’s press release confirming the trade was the fact that Love indeed has chosen to wear the number zero for next season.
Over his six-year NBA career, Love has played in 364 games (282 starts) for the Timberwolves and owns career averages of 19.2 points, 12.2 rebounds and 2.5 assists in 36.3 minutes per game. He is a three-time NBA All-Star (2011, 2012, 2014), two-time All-NBA Second Team selection (2012, 2014), Olympic gold medalist (2012) and winner of the league’s Most Improved Player award (2011) and Three-Point Shootout (2012). The UCLA product was selected to the All-Rookie Second Team in 2009 after being the 5th overall pick of the 2008 NBA Draft by the Memphis Grizzlies. He has averaged at least 14 points and 11 rebounds in five of his six NBA seasons and since entering the league, his 12.2 rebounds per game is the second-highest in the NBA (Dwight Howard, 13.3). Since 1980-81, Love is one of only three players to have at least two seasons with 26.0 points and 12.5 rebounds (2011-12, 2013-14), joining Shaquille O’Neal (4) and Moses Malone (2). Love will wear #0 with the Cavs.
Essentially, this doesn’t mean much except to those keeping track of the current NBA players wearing the number zero.
In fact, let’s just go ahead and update the Jersey Zero Power Rankings while we’re here:
2. Kevin Love
5. Jeff Teague
6. Nick Young
7. Shawn Marion*
10. Aaron Brooks
Marion, of course, has worn the number zero for the past five seasons in Dallas. But since he’s agreed to come to the Cavaliers in free agency, and since Love evidently got there first, he’ll be falling off of this very prestigious list.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 6
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10