Aug 22, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
That was probably posturing, but who knows for certain? Maybe Glen Taylor and Flip Saunders actually desire a solid young guard – who’s about to become very highly paid – over Wiggins, the most recent No. 1 pick and a player with a huge amount of upside.
Just in case, the Suns checked.
With just hours to go before a planned megadeal the would send Kevin Love to Cleveland, the Phoenix Suns reached out to the Minnesota Timberwolves on Thursday to ask once more about the possibility of acquiring Love in a sign-and-trade for guard Eric Bledsoe, sources told ESPN.com.
The Cavaliers and Wolves have had an agreement in place on Love for weeks, and it remains intact, sources said.
The Minnesota-Cleveland-Philadelphia deal seems locked in and has for a while. I don’t know the terms of the agreement, but there’s obviously a difference between “We’ll make the trade Aug. 23” when Wiggins can be dealt and “We’ll make the trade Aug. 23 so long as we haven’t received a better offer by then.” So, there’s a chance the Timberwolves could have ethically taken Phoenix’s offer.
Either way, though, Bledsoe doesn’t move the needle. Wiggins, under contract for four more years at a third of the price, is much more valuable. He’s excellent return for Love, a player who could leave at the end of the year. Bledsoe, who likely who would have required a max contract to agree to the deal, just isn’t quite on the same level.
And the Suns probably knew that. So why make the offer?
It doesn’t hurt to try, and it helps show Bledsoe they’re working to find a solution for him.
It just doesn’t get Love.
- LeBron makes emotional return to Cleveland tonight, new Nike ad shows city standing together (VIDEO) 2
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 9
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 21
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 22
- Rajon Rondo leads Celtics to rout of Nets. How much does it mean? 8
- Bulls cruise to 24-point opening night win over Knicks 17
- Lakers’ rookie Julius Randle has surgery to repair fractured tibia, out for season 16
- Anthony Davis has zero chance of winning MVP this season 38