Aug 22, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
That was probably posturing, but who knows for certain? Maybe Glen Taylor and Flip Saunders actually desire a solid young guard – who’s about to become very highly paid – over Wiggins, the most recent No. 1 pick and a player with a huge amount of upside.
Just in case, the Suns checked.
With just hours to go before a planned megadeal the would send Kevin Love to Cleveland, the Phoenix Suns reached out to the Minnesota Timberwolves on Thursday to ask once more about the possibility of acquiring Love in a sign-and-trade for guard Eric Bledsoe, sources told ESPN.com.
The Cavaliers and Wolves have had an agreement in place on Love for weeks, and it remains intact, sources said.
The Minnesota-Cleveland-Philadelphia deal seems locked in and has for a while. I don’t know the terms of the agreement, but there’s obviously a difference between “We’ll make the trade Aug. 23” when Wiggins can be dealt and “We’ll make the trade Aug. 23 so long as we haven’t received a better offer by then.” So, there’s a chance the Timberwolves could have ethically taken Phoenix’s offer.
Either way, though, Bledsoe doesn’t move the needle. Wiggins, under contract for four more years at a third of the price, is much more valuable. He’s excellent return for Love, a player who could leave at the end of the year. Bledsoe, who likely who would have required a max contract to agree to the deal, just isn’t quite on the same level.
And the Suns probably knew that. So why make the offer?
It doesn’t hurt to try, and it helps show Bledsoe they’re working to find a solution for him.
It just doesn’t get Love.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 15
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 44
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 53
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11