Aug 22, 2014, 12:59 AM EST
The Rockets were just looking for some depth. James Harden and Trevor Ariza will get the bulk of the minutes at the two and three spots, but the Rockets needed a player they could trust to come off the bench behind them.
They found it in Francisco Garcia.
The two sides reached a deal for next season, reports Mark Berman of Fox 26 news in Houston. This had been expected for a while but the two sides struggled to find common ground, which was always going to be one year at the veteran minimum of $1.3 million.
Garcia gives the Rockets a guy willing to shoot the three — almost 66 percent of his shots last season came from three and he shot 35.8 percent on them. That floor spacing his helpful on a team with Dwight Howard in the paint and the slashing Harden. Garcia is a long defender who does a decent job.
He’s not going to bring a lot besides his shooting to the table, but that is good enough for Houston right now.
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 0
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 7
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20