Aug 22, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
Mike Krzyzewski’s fondness for Mason Plumlee is no secret.
Plumlee, who played for Krzyzewski at Duke, began the Team USA World Cup selection process on the select team. Soon enough, Plumlee moved up to the main roster. At one point at least, he led DeMarcus Cousins in the race for a roster spot.
With Cousins injured and Andre Drummond likely to be cut – a likelihood but not a given considering his play against the Dominican Republic and Cousins’ injury – Plumlee appears to be a favorite to make the team.
But another player seemingly has earned favored status – Klay Thompson.
two players USAB sources say have emerged as Krzyzewski favorites — Golden State’s Klay Thompson and Brooklyn’s Mason Plumlee
Thompson is sandwiched between James Harden and DeMar DeRozan in the shooting guard pecking order, and DeRozan probably won’t make the team. But Thompson is also competing with Kyrie Irving, Stephen Curry, Derrick Rose and Damian Lillard as Krzyzewski will use lineups with multiple point guards.
If Thompson really is a Coach K favorite, he’ll nearly certainly make the team. Though it’s up to Jerry Colangelo, Krzyzewski’s voice is respected in the process.
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 55
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 58
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19