Aug 22, 2014, 11:44 AM EST
Mike Krzyzewski’s fondness for Mason Plumlee is no secret.
Plumlee, who played for Krzyzewski at Duke, began the Team USA World Cup selection process on the select team. Soon enough, Plumlee moved up to the main roster. At one point at least, he led DeMarcus Cousins in the race for a roster spot.
With Cousins injured and Andre Drummond likely to be cut – a likelihood but not a given considering his play against the Dominican Republic and Cousins’ injury – Plumlee appears to be a favorite to make the team.
But another player seemingly has earned favored status – Klay Thompson.
two players USAB sources say have emerged as Krzyzewski favorites — Golden State’s Klay Thompson and Brooklyn’s Mason Plumlee
Thompson is sandwiched between James Harden and DeMar DeRozan in the shooting guard pecking order, and DeRozan probably won’t make the team. But Thompson is also competing with Kyrie Irving, Stephen Curry, Derrick Rose and Damian Lillard as Krzyzewski will use lineups with multiple point guards.
If Thompson really is a Coach K favorite, he’ll nearly certainly make the team. Though it’s up to Jerry Colangelo, Krzyzewski’s voice is respected in the process.
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 8: Kobe Bryant returns 4
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Cavaliers shouldn’t hit panic button, may want to locate it 3
- Carmelo Anthony sits out second half vs. Portland with sore knee 5
- LeBron, after Cavaliers lose by 23 at home to Pistons: ‘Right now we are not very good. In every aspect of the game’ 43
- Paul Pierce ‘shocked’ by Celtics trade of Rajon Rondo to Mavericks 16
- Kobe Bryant will return to Lakers lineup Sunday vs. Suns 16
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 30
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 22