Aug 22, 2014, 11:44 AM EST
Mike Krzyzewski’s fondness for Mason Plumlee is no secret.
Plumlee, who played for Krzyzewski at Duke, began the Team USA World Cup selection process on the select team. Soon enough, Plumlee moved up to the main roster. At one point at least, he led DeMarcus Cousins in the race for a roster spot.
With Cousins injured and Andre Drummond likely to be cut – a likelihood but not a given considering his play against the Dominican Republic and Cousins’ injury – Plumlee appears to be a favorite to make the team.
But another player seemingly has earned favored status – Klay Thompson.
two players USAB sources say have emerged as Krzyzewski favorites — Golden State’s Klay Thompson and Brooklyn’s Mason Plumlee
Thompson is sandwiched between James Harden and DeMar DeRozan in the shooting guard pecking order, and DeRozan probably won’t make the team. But Thompson is also competing with Kyrie Irving, Stephen Curry, Derrick Rose and Damian Lillard as Krzyzewski will use lineups with multiple point guards.
If Thompson really is a Coach K favorite, he’ll nearly certainly make the team. Though it’s up to Jerry Colangelo, Krzyzewski’s voice is respected in the process.
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 7
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 41
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 10
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 8
- Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn 15
- Three Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The All-Star Rosters need to be expanded 29
- One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol 7
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 5