Aug 22, 2014, 11:44 AM EST
Mike Krzyzewski’s fondness for Mason Plumlee is no secret.
Plumlee, who played for Krzyzewski at Duke, began the Team USA World Cup selection process on the select team. Soon enough, Plumlee moved up to the main roster. At one point at least, he led DeMarcus Cousins in the race for a roster spot.
With Cousins injured and Andre Drummond likely to be cut – a likelihood but not a given considering his play against the Dominican Republic and Cousins’ injury – Plumlee appears to be a favorite to make the team.
But another player seemingly has earned favored status – Klay Thompson.
two players USAB sources say have emerged as Krzyzewski favorites — Golden State’s Klay Thompson and Brooklyn’s Mason Plumlee
Thompson is sandwiched between James Harden and DeMar DeRozan in the shooting guard pecking order, and DeRozan probably won’t make the team. But Thompson is also competing with Kyrie Irving, Stephen Curry, Derrick Rose and Damian Lillard as Krzyzewski will use lineups with multiple point guards.
If Thompson really is a Coach K favorite, he’ll nearly certainly make the team. Though it’s up to Jerry Colangelo, Krzyzewski’s voice is respected in the process.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 22
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18