Aug 22, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
Mike Krzyzewski’s fondness for Mason Plumlee is no secret.
Plumlee, who played for Krzyzewski at Duke, began the Team USA World Cup selection process on the select team. Soon enough, Plumlee moved up to the main roster. At one point at least, he led DeMarcus Cousins in the race for a roster spot.
With Cousins injured and Andre Drummond likely to be cut – a likelihood but not a given considering his play against the Dominican Republic and Cousins’ injury – Plumlee appears to be a favorite to make the team.
But another player seemingly has earned favored status – Klay Thompson.
two players USAB sources say have emerged as Krzyzewski favorites — Golden State’s Klay Thompson and Brooklyn’s Mason Plumlee
Thompson is sandwiched between James Harden and DeMar DeRozan in the shooting guard pecking order, and DeRozan probably won’t make the team. But Thompson is also competing with Kyrie Irving, Stephen Curry, Derrick Rose and Damian Lillard as Krzyzewski will use lineups with multiple point guards.
If Thompson really is a Coach K favorite, he’ll nearly certainly make the team. Though it’s up to Jerry Colangelo, Krzyzewski’s voice is respected in the process.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 20
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 38
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85