Aug 22, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
“He’s a rebounding specialist. He’s an energy specialist. So how does that fit in with the core group?” was what Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski said to PBT of Kenneth Faried back when Team USA was in Las Vegas.
Those were the days before Kevin Durant left the team and changed the complexion of the roster. Back then Coach K was trying to figure out which three or four specialists would go around his core rotation. But when that rotation was blown up by KD’s decision Coach K turned to Faried and that energy to start.
Something Faried admitted he was “extremely surprised” to get, he told Aaron Lopez of nuggets.com.
Scoring was never going to be the issue for Team USA, the roster is loaded top to bottom with guys who can score the rock. Maybe not like Durant, but they can score. What Faried brings in terms of being the glue guy with hustle and energy binds that together. It makes it a fit that works for the starting five, and leaves plenty of fire power off the bench.
As ESPN’s David Thorpe is fond of saying, energy is a skill. Not every guy brings it like Faried, and what he brings can help a team’s intangibles greatly (not to mention its rebounding).
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 1
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 22
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 21
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9