Aug 22, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
“He’s a rebounding specialist. He’s an energy specialist. So how does that fit in with the core group?” was what Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski said to PBT of Kenneth Faried back when Team USA was in Las Vegas.
Those were the days before Kevin Durant left the team and changed the complexion of the roster. Back then Coach K was trying to figure out which three or four specialists would go around his core rotation. But when that rotation was blown up by KD’s decision Coach K turned to Faried and that energy to start.
Something Faried admitted he was “extremely surprised” to get, he told Aaron Lopez of nuggets.com.
Scoring was never going to be the issue for Team USA, the roster is loaded top to bottom with guys who can score the rock. Maybe not like Durant, but they can score. What Faried brings in terms of being the glue guy with hustle and energy binds that together. It makes it a fit that works for the starting five, and leaves plenty of fire power off the bench.
As ESPN’s David Thorpe is fond of saying, energy is a skill. Not every guy brings it like Faried, and what he brings can help a team’s intangibles greatly (not to mention its rebounding).
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18