Aug 22, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT
For starters, Smith was suspended for the first five games of the year for violating the league’s drug policy — a penalty that only comes after testing positive for marijuana three separate times.
But as irresponsible as that was, his on-court antics were even more ridiculous.
Smith thought that untying a player’s shoes during a game was so hilarious that he did it a second time after being warned by the league to stop. That offense resulted in a $50,000 fine, and one of the team’s younger players, Tim Hardaway Jr., playfully emulating that behavior during All-Star weekend.
Now, with a potential logjam at the shooting guard position, Smith wants everyone to be mature, now matter how the minutes are distributed.
Unless they make a trade, the Knicks will enter the season with three players who can make a strong case for the starting shooting guard spot: Tim Hardaway Jr., J.R. Smith and Iman Shumpert. …
Fisher can play one at shooting guard while the others sit on the bench or mix and match combinations of the three guards in the triangle offense, as GM Steve Mills suggested earlier this month.
“That’s for the coach to decide. All we’ve got to do is play,” J.R. Smith said Thursday. “Whatever they decide, we’ve got to just live with it. Hopefully everybody could put their egos aside and come together for one common goal.”
Smith is actually fairly thoughtful and honest when speaking to the media after games, so this does seem like an earnest attempt to show the beginnings of some leadership abilities with the team’s younger players.
But his actions are going to have to match before we’re sold on this 100 percent.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 12
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 21
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14