Bulls’ Doug McDermott’s can’t sing, tries to lead Cubs’ fans in “Take Me Out To The Ballgame” anyway

Aug 22, 2014, 11:08 AM EST

Bulls fans are going to love Doug McDermott.

Not for his singing.

The Bulls’ rookie who had a strong Summer League and likely ends up getting some decent minutes this season took on the Chicago tradition of leading Cubs fans at Wrigley Field in a seventh inning stretch rendition of “Take Me Out To The Ballgame.”

Did I mention he can’t sing. That was brutal. Lesson number one of the NBA rookie — learn your limits. Singing is not in his wheelhouse.

On the court he’s going to be a good fit in Chicago. My observations from Las Vegas Summer League is he works very hard off the ball to get open and has a good sense of where the holes in the defense are. He can shoot from anywhere. He’s better than people think at putting the ball on the floor, getting inside and drawing contact. He’s a bit undersized for an NBA stretch four and defense is going to be his challenge.

With McDermott, Pau Gasol and Nikola Mirotic the Bulls have a bunch of big man who can shoot and space the floor, which is all the better with Derrick Rose slashing into the paint.

1. ecnuob51 - Aug 22, 2014 at 11:33 AM

I keep forgetting how deep this bulls team is gonna be. This year is their best chance before the cavs players get used to each other, then it’ll be over.

• pbtunpaidwriter - Aug 22, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Take me out “with” the crowd? What are “peanits”?

I thought McBuckets was American. Maybe Mirotic actually sang it…

2. bucrightoff - Aug 22, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Ozzy Osbourne still has the all-time best Take Me Out to the Ballgame. It’s untouchable.

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 22, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Wow. Thank you for that. I’ve never seen somebody get people so hyped just before he takes a crap on the mic. And I thought Billy Corgan’s version was bad…

• hurricanegrabowski - Aug 22, 2014 at 7:08 PM

I don’t know about that, Ozzy’s was good, but Ditka’s in 98 is the stuff of legends.

3. lj312chicago - Aug 22, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Haha go watch ditkas 7th inning stretch

• bringin1234 - Aug 22, 2014 at 1:40 PM

LOL that was a good one… wins for angriest 7th inning stretch that’s for sure…

Ozzy was by far the worst….. I thought he was going to black out and fall out of the booth

• hurricanegrabowski - Aug 22, 2014 at 7:09 PM

This. He shows up late, sings it too fast for the organ, and his voice cracks at the end.

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches