Aug 21, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
A couple of days ago when I wrote in a post about the pending Kevin Love trade saying Anthony Bennett would go to Philadelphia as part of the it and Thaddeus Young would be headed to Minnesota, I quickly got a message from someone better connected than I saying that second part of the deal may not happen. Minnesota likes the idea of keeping Bennett around.
That feeling seems to be strong around Minnesota.
Now there is this, from Timberwolves beat reporter Jerry Zgoda of the Star Tribune.
There’ssome logic here. If you’re the Timberwolves sending Love out for Andrew Wiggins, you just basically said “we’re rebuilding.” And if you are building for the future why not keep Bennett around and see how he develops? Young is a better player but a win-now player that you would just have to flip again for another guy. Bennett could help you down the line.
After a disastrous rookie season Bennett looked in much better shape and played well at Summer League in Las Vegas. He hit the boards hard, played pretty good defense (as much as anyone plays D in Vegas) and generally looked like a guy who can be a solid part of your front-court rotation. He’s never going to live up to the No. 1 pick millstone the Cavaliers hung around his neck, but he looked like a solid rotation NBA player (which was a huge leap from a year ago).
Just something to watch when the trade for Love/Wiggins goes down this weekend. Bennett may not be immediately on the move.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 9
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 69
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30