Aug 21, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
USA Basketball called this “killer crossover” but to me this is Kyrie Irving every game. Irving was one of the top shooters in the NBA off the dribble last season and he has plenty of moves to create space for himself. This is a very good move, it’s just something he can do nightly. It’s effortless.
Irving, as well as DeMar DeRozan and Andre Drummond looked good in the USA’s 43-point thrashing of the Dominican Republic at Madison Square Garden. The problem for Coach Mike Krzyzewski and crew is what can you really take away from this game? This was not a test for the USA, not the chance to see how players perform under pressure. how players perform in practice would be a better judge of that than this game.
Which is part of the reason there will be no cuts until after Friday night’s game against Puerto Rico.
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 0
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 15
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 3
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 1
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 6
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 10
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8