Kevin Durant on his first time meeting Stephen Curry: ‘I thought he was white’

Aug 21, 2014, 1:59 PM EDT

Kevin Durant first crossed paths with Stephen Curry when the two were 10 years old playing on the AAU circuit, but speaking at an event in New York this week to promote the release of the latest NBA2K video game, Durant says his first impression of the Warriors sharpshooter wasn’t at all accurate.

“I was about 10 years old, and our AAU team drove down to Charlotte to play,” Durant said. “I thought he was white. He was this yellow kid, right? I’m just being real now, right? Where I come from, in the hood, we don’t see that. We don’t see the light-skinned guys around. It was all guys like me.”

Curry is on stage with Durant while the story is being told, and he clearly finds it hilarious.

Durant didn’t just notice Curry for his looks, though. His basketball ability, even at that young age, immediately stood out.

“I walk in the gym and this guy’s stepping across half court just pulling jump shots,” Durant said. “Splash. Splash. And when we played him, he had like 35 and he was like 10 years old. I was like, who is this? And 10 years later … that was Steph Curry.”

1. 00maltliquor - Aug 21, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Sooo…he’s NOT white??

• nflcrimerankingscom - Aug 21, 2014 at 3:00 PM

His dad is African american, his mom is a mix.

• reesesteel23 - Aug 22, 2014 at 11:53 AM

“is mixed” not “is a mix” lol

• genericcommenter - Aug 21, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Yeah, Dell Curry sure was the whitest guy in basketball.

• 00maltliquor - Aug 21, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Okay smart***, you mean to tell me Dell is 100% black, as well as his mother? Cause what it looks like to me is Dell is half black and I’ve never seen Steph’s mother but if she’s full white then that would make him only 25% black. Point is, KD said he “thought” he was white…uh…he IS.

• genericcommenter - Aug 21, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Honestly, I thought you were some young ignorant kid. That said, in AmeriKKKa, if you have one black parent, you are treated as black in most places. So, I don’t know Dell’s parentage, but he’s seen as black- therefore, his kid is going to be considered “black.” And most of the light skin multi-racial athletes “look black” in their facial features. If it were the 1960s or 1970s, they would automatically be treated black, along with whatever that entails. perhaps, we are seeing “progress” when guys who would have been automatically treated as black for discriminatory reasons 1-2 generations ago are now seen as possibly white. i don’t know. I know of several 100% “white” people who were discriminated against because they “looked black” with light skin, back in the early post-segregation days…. If you are calling someone “white” because they have 1 parent or 2 grandparents who are “white” you might as well say Durant is white too, because despite what he thinks about his hood I’m sure there are white people in his family, too.

• genericcommenter - Aug 21, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Also, I know a lot of black people with 2 black parents (and all grandparents identifying as black, maybe at the most “1/4 Indian” or something) who are lighter than Dell.

• Bob Loblaw - Aug 22, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Our President is as much white as he is black, but try to find someone who calls him anything other than African-american. Tiger Woods is less black than he is any other ethnicity, yet he is always referred to as African-american. Ethnicity really doesn’t matter as much as skin color these days.

But to me, that’s a good thing. Who cares about ethnicity or skin color anyway. Obama is our President and Tiger is either the #1 or #2 greatest golfer of all time. Who cares about African-american, Caucasian, or even Tiger’s own “Cablinasian”.

2. ProBasketballPundit - Aug 21, 2014 at 2:11 PM

He might be. I mean, has anybody ever seen him dunk?

• sportsfan18 - Aug 21, 2014 at 2:17 PM

he figures why only score 2 points with a dunk when he may put 3 on the board with a dagger from downtown…

3. whglll1978 - Aug 21, 2014 at 2:41 PM

He is half white. His mom is white and his dad is black.
    His dad played in the NBA.

• mackcarrington - Aug 21, 2014 at 2:56 PM

He’s black,
      Dominant gene.

• duhwighthoward - Aug 21, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Skin color is determined by more than one gene. And it isn’t dominant/recessive as you would like to believe. You’ve just been socialized to view any one with the least bit of Sub-Saharan African heritage as black.

• mackcarrington - Aug 21, 2014 at 3:21 PM

I didn’t mention his skin color, but it’s not just about pigmentation. As Durant said, he looked “white” to him. Your correct, to a point, skin color is not the determining factor.

• duhwighthoward - Aug 21, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Like most African-Americans, his father is mixed European and African heritage. So is his mother. And she is hot!

• progress2011 - Aug 21, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Moms is SMOKIN!!

4. lowtalker - Aug 21, 2014 at 2:50 PM

@whgIII . . . . so Durant was half right . . .sort of.

5. dinofrank60 - Aug 21, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Kev didn’t get out much, even in DC.

6. antistratfordian - Aug 21, 2014 at 3:09 PM

“He was this yellow kid, right? I’m just being real now, right?”

He’s lucky he didn’t say that about Jeremy Lin. I’m not sure if I’m offended by that or not in this case. I’m thinking about it.

• zoomy123 - Aug 21, 2014 at 3:45 PM

You’re not making any sense. First, how can YOU be offended that KD thought he was white? After all, Curry is very light skinned. Second, KD couldn’t have said that about Jeremy Lin because everybody can see that he’s of Asian descent. Go home, put on some Chet Baker, and go to sleep. You’re done here.

• antistratfordian - Aug 21, 2014 at 5:39 PM

I wasn’t about him thinking he was white. It was him calling somebody “yellow.” Maybe you didn’t know this, but it is offensive to refer to Asians as yellow, so I hope you don’t do that.

• zoomy123 - Aug 22, 2014 at 2:27 AM

Anti, you have no idea what you’re talking about. “Yellow” is not an offensive term for African-Americans. However, it is an offensive term for Asians. There is no socio-linguistic equivalence between “colored” and “yellow.” The former was imposed upon a group of people, the latter is a term adopted by that group of people.

• antistratfordian - Aug 23, 2014 at 1:07 AM

For one thing, it IS a offensive even within the African-American community, which is why KD followed that with, “I’m just keeping it real, right?” He knew it was touchy – there are light-skin vs dark-skin dynamics that are still sensitive and go back quite a loooooong time and KD knew he was walking into it. But he wasn’t just talking to African Americans here – he was talking publicly to everybody – so he should’ve known better. It’s best to just keep “yellow” out of your mouth in public. Period.

• antistratfordian - Aug 21, 2014 at 6:03 PM

To put it in another way, imagine if Kevin Love was telling this story about a really tan white dude (maybe he was Italian or Greek) and he said:

“I thought he was black. He was this colored kid, right? I’m just being real now, right? Where I come from, in the suburbs, we don’t see that. We don’t see dark-skinned guys around. It was all guys like me.”

That’s kind of an equivalent. It’s offensive.

“Yellow” in reference to skin color is similarly offensive. Though I’m aware in the black community there are colorful terms like “high yellow” and “redbone” to describe light-skinned African-Americans. But in general people (especially public people) should be aware of the offensive nature of just “yellow” and realize that it can offend even though you don’t intend to.

• urodaddy07 - Aug 23, 2014 at 12:21 AM

God I”m sick of how PC Americans have become. No offence meant by Durant; none taken by Curry. No wonder Americans can’t have an honest discussion about race

• zoomy123 - Aug 23, 2014 at 5:34 AM

PC is an incoherent term. In the American political lexicon it’s become a way of saying, “I don’t like this, therefore it’s wrong.” It’s like saying something is “un-Americnan.” It’s a completely empty concept. The problem is not being PC, it’s cultural ignorance and our fear of what we will learn about ourselves if we take the chance to gain the knowledge we need to become more empathetic towards one another.

• money2long - Aug 21, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Coming from the guy who said pharell is white ?
      U have yet to defend yourself.

• 00maltliquor - Aug 21, 2014 at 4:57 PM

The whites adopted Pharrell in Dave Chapelle’s Race Draft in 2012. Pharrell is now officially White.

• antistratfordian - Aug 21, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Is it offensive to call somebody white now? I didn’t know “white” was derogatory. “Yellow” certainly is.

• money2long - Aug 21, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Anti. Do you realize malt’s response was more of an apt reply to my statement ?
        You conveniently try to swerve your way from directly addressing my point.

• bigmeechy74 - Aug 21, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Here’s a solution. Don’t be offended.

• antistratfordian - Aug 21, 2014 at 5:43 PM

That’s not a practical solution. What about Durant educating himself and choosing better language? I think that’s a better solution.

• 00maltliquor - Aug 21, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Chill out anti. You never heard the term “yellow” or “high-yellow”? That term has been used for-ev-er for people Steph’s complection and it’s not in the least bit offensive.

• antistratfordian - Aug 21, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Of course I know about high yellow. That isn’t the point. Public figures have to be more aware about their language because other people don’t know about that and they can find it offensive. There are a lot of terms that people use in smaller enclaves that would be offensive to the public at large and when you’re speaking in public you have to realize that.

• ecnuob51 - Aug 21, 2014 at 6:45 PM

The whole point is all Durant had to say was. “Man the first time I saw steph I thought he was white” and that’s it. He didn’t have to add anything else about the hood or about yellow

7. ecnuob51 - Aug 21, 2014 at 5:53 PM

I used to love kd but this past year he’s been acting so stupid. Like what does the darkness of his skin have to do with the hood? Are there no light skin brothas in the hood? Cause I’ve seen plenty. It doesn’t matter if he thought he was white it’s all that nonsense he added after.

• nfl4days - Aug 21, 2014 at 6:24 PM

well seeing as how he was 10 and clearly said he hadn’t seen any light skin people before, this is a pretty dumb post.

• ecnuob51 - Aug 21, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Never seen a light skinned person? Really? Well I guess he never watched the nba on tv then because I’m quite sure there was plenty of light skinned players.

• ecnuob51 - Aug 21, 2014 at 6:43 PM

If kd was like 50 years old this would make sense. The guy was born in 89 and if you really think he never ran into or saw a light skinned person then you’re the dumb one. And I’m not sure if you read the last sentence of my post where I said him think he was white doesn’t matter

• progress2011 - Aug 21, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Reading Comprehension is not your forte!

He CLEARLY stated:

Meaning….at the age of 10, he was only exposed “IN PERSON” to people with his skin color.

Put down the sizzurp and re-read what he actually said.

Steph thought it was funny….have a sense of humor…life is too short to be serious about err-thang!

hahahaha

8. lacolem1 - Aug 21, 2014 at 7:16 PM

This was…funny?

9. afewzigzagsplease - Aug 21, 2014 at 7:53 PM

The first time I saw Curry I knew he was a mixed race black. Apparently Kevin is no rocket scientist and will stick with basketball.

10. patfic5 - Aug 21, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Durant grew up in the hood?

11. norcalkingsfan - Aug 21, 2014 at 10:39 PM

The more people, especially famous people, keep using terms like “black” and “white, the more “race” will continue to perpetuate.

Race doesn’t exist, it is a social construct that limits humanity’s growth. We shouldn’t define/segregate/indentify people by physical characteristics.

One race: human.

Oh, and, whatever his skin pigment color is, he needs to shave those hideous chin pubes.

12. dretwann - Aug 21, 2014 at 10:45 PM

You people are hilarious. 1st, he was recounting a story from when he was 10, some 25 years ago, the way he experienced it….. 25 years ago. 2nd, Stephen Curry IS high, high, yellow. He knows it, which is why he found it funny to hear the story. Having grown up in DC during this same time period, NO it was not so common to see a high high yellow brother in the hood. This is coming from one who has been considered high yellow himself and there weren’t very many of us around. No exaggeration. Folks are way too PC today. It is ridiculous! Stop looking for something to be offended by all the time. It is getting way old.

13. campcouch - Aug 22, 2014 at 2:37 AM

Sandwich.

14. seattlenative57 - Aug 22, 2014 at 3:21 AM

Who cares what color KD “thought” Curry was? It’s meaningless drivel.

15. birdy5 - Aug 22, 2014 at 4:44 AM

Wouldn’t mind seeing these 4 guys playing/teaming up together, regardless of whatever team, as long as they give current super teams a run for their money.

• birdy5 - Aug 22, 2014 at 4:50 AM

Well, maybe 3, harden not included. Durant, steph & davis. The good guys squad.

16. stoptrippn - Aug 22, 2014 at 11:51 AM

His Mom is super fine!

17. stayhigh_247 - Aug 22, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Are those Hauraches on Hardens feet? looking kinda dope.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches