Aug 21, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Is this the standard soreness that comes with coming back and pushing through a recovery from knee surgery, or is this the continuation of bigger issues?
We don’t know the answer. If someone tells you they know, they’re selling something. People have opinions on what they think it is, how serious it is, but nobody knows. We’re going to find out as we push into the season.
What do we know? Rose sat out Wednesday’s game but said plans to play Friday night in Team USA’s game against Puerto Rico at Madison Square Garden. That’s what he told Ken Berger of CBSSports.com.
“Just trying to protect myself, just knowing that this is a long, long schedule and this is the most basketball I’ll be playing in two years,” Rose said. “So I’m just going in, trying to gear up, making sure that I’m healthy….”
Rose went through shootaround Wednesday morning and participated in pre-game warmups. At one point, he said the decision to sit was “a team thing.” At another point, he said, “They gave me the opportunity to go out there and play tonight, and I chose to rest a little bit.”
Then, he said, “I wouldn’t say it’s my call.”
Rose practiced Thursday also, again saying he plans to play Friday.
The crowd chanted Rose’s name at a couple points Wednesday. He said he wanted to play but he knows that pushing too hard for a meaningless summer exhibition is not the call. There’s a lot of team USA basketball left as the team heads to Spain for the World Cup, followed by the marathon of an NBA season. Patience is the right play here. And patience is never popular with any fan base.
Ultimately, it will be a while before we know where Rose really stands.
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 5
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 35
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 19
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70