Aug 21, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Now you can add Brook Lopez to the list of NBA stars who dropped weight this summer.
It makes a lot of sense for Lopez, coming off foot surgery that cost him most of last season, to want to drop some lbs and he did, the center told the New York Post.
Lopez, who arrived at training camp last fall weighing around 290 pounds before playing at a weight several pounds lighter, looked noticeably thinner while participating in a youth healthy lifestyle clinic at Barclays Center on Wednesday afternoon.
“I’m at my playing weight,” Lopez said with a laugh. “I can attribute that to laying in bed for months, but I’m back to the weight that’s normal for me. Last I checked, I was just under 275 [pounds].”
Despite the success the Nets had going small last season new (and improved) coach Lionel Hollins is going to go big this season, with Brook Lopez at the heart of what the Nets do.
Brooklyn has the pieces to do some real damage in the East, but they are going to need monster years out of Lopez and Deron Williams. Both need to stay healthy and bounce back to form. That may be asking a lot.
But for Lopez, the weight loss is a good start.
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 5
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10