Aug 21, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Now you can add Brook Lopez to the list of NBA stars who dropped weight this summer.
It makes a lot of sense for Lopez, coming off foot surgery that cost him most of last season, to want to drop some lbs and he did, the center told the New York Post.
Lopez, who arrived at training camp last fall weighing around 290 pounds before playing at a weight several pounds lighter, looked noticeably thinner while participating in a youth healthy lifestyle clinic at Barclays Center on Wednesday afternoon.
“I’m at my playing weight,” Lopez said with a laugh. “I can attribute that to laying in bed for months, but I’m back to the weight that’s normal for me. Last I checked, I was just under 275 [pounds].”
Despite the success the Nets had going small last season new (and improved) coach Lionel Hollins is going to go big this season, with Brook Lopez at the heart of what the Nets do.
Brooklyn has the pieces to do some real damage in the East, but they are going to need monster years out of Lopez and Deron Williams. Both need to stay healthy and bounce back to form. That may be asking a lot.
But for Lopez, the weight loss is a good start.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 0
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 30
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16