Add Brook Lopez to the list of players who dropped weight this summer

Aug 21, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT

New Jersey Nets practice 05/07/2014 New Jersey Nets practice 05/07/2014

LeBron James.

Carmelo Anthony.

Now you can add Brook Lopez to the list of NBA stars who dropped weight this summer.

It makes a lot of sense for Lopez, coming off foot surgery that cost him most of last season, to want to drop some lbs and he did, the center told the New York Post.

Lopez, who arrived at training camp last fall weighing around 290 pounds before playing at a weight several pounds lighter, looked noticeably thinner while participating in a youth healthy lifestyle clinic at Barclays Center on Wednesday afternoon.

“I’m at my playing weight,” Lopez said with a laugh. “I can attribute that to laying in bed for months, but I’m back to the weight that’s normal for me. Last I checked, I was just under 275 [pounds].”

Despite the success the Nets had going small last season new (and improved) coach Lionel Hollins is going to go big this season, with Brook Lopez at the heart of what the Nets do.

But for Lopez, the weight loss is a good start.

1. cruzan80 - Aug 21, 2014 at 10:40 AM

“Brooklyn has the pieces to do some real damage in the East”

On May 27th Williams had yet another ankle surgery was said to be on crutches for four to six weeks THEN start rehab.

His backup Shaun Livingston is in California.

KG is one year closer to 40 & hasn’t looked like “KG” in about 2 years.

Pierce is a Wizard.

But they do have their injury prone center back so yeah…they should do some “real damage” in the East.

• ecnuob51 - Aug 21, 2014 at 11:08 AM

No where do I see they will do real real damage. I’m sure the article said they have POTENTIAL to do real damage. Any team with deron, Johnson, and Lopez is gonna have potential if they’re all healthy and playing like all-stars.
      And what does Livingston being in California have anything to do with anything???

• fanofthegame79 - Aug 21, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Incorrect, the article uses the words, verbatim: Brooklyn has the pieces to do some real damage in the East, but they are going to need monster years out of Lopez and Deron Williams. Both need to stay healthy and bounce back to form. That may be asking a lot.

No where does it say the word “potential”.

And Livingston in California is huge as he had a fantastic year last year while filling in for Williams when he was out nursing injuries.

I agree with cruzan80, I’m not sure how this team will “do some real damage” anywhere.

2. sportsfan18 - Aug 21, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Amazing…

that folks may argue over what words were in an article.

the words were either in the article or not. it isn’t an opinion folks.

look up the article and this is resolved.

3. csbanter - Aug 21, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Brook Lopez is a good player but until he plays a full season minus a few games or so, I can’t get excited about the Nets chances.

4. zackd2 - Aug 21, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Weight loss is good, maybe he can grab more than 6 rebounds a game this year.

• genericcommenter - Aug 21, 2014 at 3:26 PM

I was going to say that. Maybe he can now be athletic enough to be the rare 7-footer to grab 6 boards.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches