Aug 20, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
I know you’re convinced that Joey Crawford, Bennett Salvatore and Tony Brothers all have it in for your team. (It doesn’t really matter what your team is, every fan base thinks that.) Here’s the thing: by and large the referees get the calls right in a fast moving game where the calls are split second. They do a good job.
But they also miss some calls.
The NBA has instituted and expanded instant replay. Referees can look at whether a shot was a two or a three, whether or not a foul was flagrant, then the league gives officials expanded powers in the final minutes of each half to look at a variety of calls that could impact a game. But is that enough?
Should a coach a couple times a game be able to have the referees review a call?
Think of it like an NFL system where a couple times a game Gregg Popovich or Jason Kidd be able to challenge a call, maybe lose a timeout if they are wrong?
“Obviously refs are human and they miss calls,” he Curry said at a roundtable discussion called “NBA 2K15 Unsensored” on Tuesday. “To be able to make sure they got the right one — maybe give the coach a little flag like they do in football and he gets two or three challenges a game to make sure they get the right call, especially in pivotal situations.”
Kevin Durant disagrees.
“I wouldn’t like to see anything changed because I like how the game is played,” the Oklahoma City Thunder star said. “I think it’s perfect how it is. … If you give coach the right to challenge calls … it would take some purity out of the game, I think.”
I like this idea, but I think there needs to be a punishment for being wrong such as losing a timeout, otherwise coaches will use it instead of a timeout to try and break a run by the other team. “Hey, we just gave up 10 in a row, rather than blow a timeout I’m going to challenge that otherwise obvious out of bounds call.”
That said, I think the coaches should have a chance to pick a couple plays for review.
It also would be nice if the NBA referees became consistent with the calls they made off those reviews. Some seem to change crew to crew, day to day. Just ask Doc Rivers.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13