Aug 20, 2014, 12:09 PM EST
Understandably, Miami might want to add a little depth along those spots, something reported by Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald. Of course, the only problem is the money.
The Heat is serious about adding another shooting guard and a big man if it can find two good ones willing to take the veteran’s minimum. After recently working out Jordan Hamilton (who signed with Toronto) and Chris Douglas-Roberts, the Heat also has inquired about Leandro Barbosa and Jordan Crawford, who both hold appeal to Miami.
Among power rotation players, the Heat has shown interest in Emeka Okafor and has considered Ekpe Udoh. Preliminary inquiries were made on Andray Blatche and Jason Maxiell. Agent David Falk said he talked to the Heat about Elton Brand but that Brand is unlikely to end up here.
When you pick up a veteran minimum player at this point in the summer, you mostly get what you are paying for. Teams try to find a guy who maybe is poised for a bit of a bounce-back year and roll the dice, but the bottom line is most of the quality guys are off the board. And to add to the fun, most of the veterans still on the board are convinced they are worth more than the minimum they are being offered.
The Heat have a rotation that should solidly land them in the playoffs in the East — with Wade, Bosh and the addition of Luol Deng they can keep playing the small ball, space-and-pace system they have the last few years. It’s not going to be the same, but it can win games because they still have some talent. Don’t see them lasting long in the postseason, but they should comfortably make it.
But they sure could use a little more depth.
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 3
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 0
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 26
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 2
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 35
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 9