Kobe Bryant: ‘I’m 70 in basketball years’

Aug 20, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT

Soccer: Women's Friendly-USA vs China Soccer: Women's Friendly-USA vs China

Kobe Bryant has two years left on his contract with the Lakers, and most expect those to be the final two seasons that he plays professionally.

Injuries limited him to just six games last season, and though he’s expected to be back to 100 percent for the start of the 2014-15 campaign, no one yet knows exactly what that will mean in terms of his on-court performance.

Bryant will appear on a regional cover of Sports Illustrated this week, and the quote on the front of the magazine says it all.

“I’m 70 in basketball years,” Bryant says.

He’s not kidding.

Bryant has spent more than half of his life playing in the NBA, and in 18 seasons he’s appeared in 1,465 games, totaling 54,208 minutes played in the process.

1. cbking05 - Aug 20, 2014 at 12:17 AM

I’m fkn a thousand in office years

2. csbanter - Aug 20, 2014 at 12:22 AM

20 pts per game will be good enough , but knowing Kobe he’ll still drop 24 or more.

• antistratfordian - Aug 20, 2014 at 2:40 AM

I think 24+ is almost a guarantee. I’d be surprised if he didn’t. But, you know, his injuries might actually make him a better team player. Oh, jeez… what the hell am I saying? No way, Jorge! Mamba is always gonna Mamba. Some day his dead body will be laying on a table in the morgue and his arms are still going to be twitching his jumper motion – the mortician will record it on his cell phone and put it on youtube and the legend of Kobe The Chucker will grow even larger.

• loungefly74 - Aug 20, 2014 at 9:25 AM

the chucker (playing an alpha-role) who helped his team to 7 Final appearances…Kobe the Legend.

• antistratfordian - Aug 21, 2014 at 2:18 AM

Yep. He did help… at least. Coattail ridin’ like a mofo.

• loungefly74 - Aug 21, 2014 at 8:22 AM

sure…however you perceived it…but he got my team, you know, the team i follow and stay loyal to, something you will never understand…and being an adult, makes more pathetic but whatever…5 titles.

• antistratfordian - Aug 21, 2014 at 12:45 PM

I’ve been a Dolphins fan longer than you’ve been a Lakers fan. And Phil Jackson, Shaq and Gasol got your team 5 titles. Kobe’s Lakers were garbage without those pieces carrying him.

• loungefly74 - Aug 25, 2014 at 12:24 PM

eh…youre opinion and you make no sense because you are so biased and skewed. Kobe helped the lakers win 5 titles.

Dolphins fans? how random is that. huh…thought you would have been a Niners fans…than a Cowboys fan…than a Pats fan seeing how you just jump team to team…you think like a girl or a 15 year-old boy.

• antistratfordian - Aug 25, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Team LeBron, son! Well really if I had to choose a team I’d say the Supes, but they don’t exist anymore. I’ve only ever been to games at Key Arena. But I’m thinking about committing to the Cavs until the Sonics come back, and then after that I may go to a 1A 1B two team system. That is under consideration.

• loungefly74 - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:04 AM

nice. make a commitment! believe me, its more fun when you have a team to consistently root for.

• antistratfordian - Aug 26, 2014 at 9:07 PM

I don’t need to take advice from you, guy. I’ve been a Dolphins fan longer than you’ve been alive.

• loungefly74 - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:11 AM

you’re a weirdo, old man.

• antistratfordian - Aug 27, 2014 at 6:49 PM

I probably still look younger than you though.

• loungefly74 - Aug 28, 2014 at 8:35 AM

ha! i highly doubt it.

• antistratfordian - Aug 28, 2014 at 5:50 PM

i’d be willing to bet money on it. if you’re in your twenties then i do probably look younger than you – especially if you’re overweight, which I think you are.

• loungefly74 - Sep 2, 2014 at 9:10 AM

nope. im in good shape. unlike you..the slob who lives in their mom’s basement. i read your other comments. HAHA! model? handsome? yeah, sure buddy. freakin delusional. dude, just doing some simple sherlock holmes crap has you deduced as a lying, ugly slob. uh…yeah, you spend waaaayyy too much time on here to be of any importance anywhere else. you said you did this trolling on other sites as well on fuels how pathetic you are. also, a grown man who follows only a player is stereotypically creepy. what do ya do? hang with other 15 year-olds? freakin chester. someone who spends way too much time dissing other people? yeah, youre ugly…’cause good looking people dont do that. they have better things to do. you got beat up/ teased too many times as a kid. you have been outed again, anti. everybody knows your a old ugly man who dreams about lebron…yeah, that pretty much sums you up. and the fact that you make up crap left n right? dang…take a shower, chester. you stink.

• antistratfordian - Aug 25, 2014 at 3:49 PM

I’ve been a Dolphins fan since I was but a young boy because my Pops was a crazy Dolphins fan and now I’m a crazy Dolphins fan.

I’m also a Mariners and Huskies fan. Been that ever since I’ve been here… now closing in on 20 years.

• tomasekradek - Aug 20, 2014 at 3:07 AM

Nah, 20 pts per game seems about right to me, 24 will be his fg percentage.

jk, hope he gets back well and once again show us how great he is even in this stage of his career.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 20, 2014 at 7:53 AM

Tom

24 percent will be his field goal percentage… love it…

• Mr. Wright 212 - Aug 20, 2014 at 12:25 PM

The guy says he was joking and you and your foolish hatin’ @ss took it and ran with it sportsfan18. Annoying troll.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 20, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Mr. Wright

I’ve NEVER changed on here or pretended to be something different on here. I’m not a homer of my teams (Cubs suck and I know it).

You, as everyone on here knows, are a Knicks homer who can’t see straight when it comes to them. You’re blinded to reality.

I like to joke and tease on here is all, as many others do. Yes, my attempts at humor do fall flat from time to time. I’m guilty of that (and others are too on here). But, I’m not a homer or a hater.

For as much as I say I dislike Kobe and Melo, I don’t really. I just like tweaking homers who think they are Gods among men.

So please tell me, do you think the Knicks will finish in 9th or 10th place this season?

• pinhead2 - Aug 20, 2014 at 3:39 PM

That’s good for everyone then. Especially the opposing team as he gets his 24th point on his 30th shot attempt, or better 35 pts on 40+ attempts. Got true props for Kobe, but hopefully the “carry the whole team on his back” Kobe is the exception not the rule for Lakers this year.

3. avb300 - Aug 20, 2014 at 12:58 AM

He always likes to call himself the victim to use it as fuel to come back. He’s probably right, he is 70, but you don’t hear other players say it.

Check out this post on rim protectors:

• demasane - Aug 20, 2014 at 2:48 AM

i checked it out, and you had Brook Lopez as one of the best rim protectors in the NBA. I was puzzled

• avb300 - Aug 20, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Yea, its a term that’s thrown around a lot but very little is known about who the best RPs are.

Thanks for reading!

4. jetslakersfan - Aug 20, 2014 at 1:40 AM

He will lead the NBA in scoring this year.

• jimb25 - Aug 20, 2014 at 1:56 AM

Kobe’s one of my all-time favorite players to watch, but that’s not gonna happen until KD or LeBron goes out with something major (knock on wood). Probably close to 25 ppg tho.

• asimonetti88 - Aug 20, 2014 at 10:33 AM

I doubt it. Kevin Durant and Carmelo are probably going to be 1/2 like they have the last couple years.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 20, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Spot on sir.

KD will push for the scoring lead with his 17 to 18 shots a game…

Melo will push for the scoring lead with his 21 to 22 shots a game…

The year Melo did lead the league in scoring, he averaged 22.2 shots a game to get his 28.7 points.

That same year, KD average 17.7 shots a game to get his 28.1 points a game…

• cruzan80 - Aug 20, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Sportsfan7,

Carmelo Anthony has a career average of 19.7 shots per game….Durant has a career average of 19.2…and he plays with Russell Westbrook.

Troll on sir…troll on.

• musician0785 - Aug 20, 2014 at 2:22 PM

its easier to score when you have teammates that the defense cant play off of (westbrook, ibaka) who does melo have on his team that defenses would be scared of? So of course Melo is gonna have to take more shots, he sees doubles and traps that KD wont see so long as he has those teammates….remember what happened when westbrook got hurt in the playoffs, or The thunder had to play those games without Ibaka and got boat raced. Your point about melo taking a lot of shots ignores context, wholly ignores context

• sportsfan18 - Aug 20, 2014 at 3:27 PM

@ cruzan

2 yrs ago when Melo won the scoring title…

he averaged 22.2 shots a game and averaged 28.7 points a game.

that same season, KD averaged 17.7 shots a game and averaged 28.1 points a game.

look it up if you don’t believe me, it’s a fact whether you don’t care for it or not.

• cruzan80 - Aug 20, 2014 at 4:51 PM

@musician

Well said sir…

• sportsfan18 - Aug 20, 2014 at 3:34 PM

@ cruzan

there really is no comparison between KD and Melo in terms of their efficiency.

For their careers

KD .600% true shooting percentage 18th ALL TIME highest mark

Melo .547% true shooting percentage 194th ALL TIME mark

Melo’s last two seasons were pretty good, some say his best seasons to date. It took two very good seasons for him to get under 200th place all time in true shooting percentage as he was above 200 coming into this past season.

Again, that is a fact sir and you may look it up. I know you don’t like me saying this, but the fact you don’t care for it doesn’t make it wrong.

Troll? maybe

Truth? absolutely – I stated facts above, NOT opinions.

• cruzan80 - Aug 20, 2014 at 4:50 PM

sportsfan7,

“Carmelo Anthony has a career average of 19.7 shots per game….Durant has a career average of 19.2.”

Thats a fact too….not an opinion…whether you don’t care for it or not.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 20, 2014 at 5:31 PM

@ cruz

YES it IS a fact, the shots per game you listed for them…

you left out their scoring averages though sir.

MORE points for KD on FEWER shots than Melo…

Melo, FEWER points on MORE shots than KD for their careers.

that too is a fact sir.

5. carp0056 - Aug 20, 2014 at 2:49 AM

Hang them up Kobe

• asimonetti88 - Aug 20, 2014 at 10:33 AM

No you

6. mackcarrington - Aug 20, 2014 at 5:57 AM

It seems Kobe’s PR machine has ramped into hyper-drive recently. We’re getting all of this stuff from LED courts to Chinese sculptures to high school videos. Now the cover of SI. Maybe this is to counter some of the Clipper buzz. if Kobe is somehow relevant, then the Lakers are relevant too. Wonder where this is leading to next.

7. cowpiesnotcowboys - Aug 20, 2014 at 6:34 AM

Too bad the Lakers didn’t take this into account before signing him to his current contract.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 20, 2014 at 7:57 AM

The Short Buss is in charge…

RIP Dr. Buss…

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 20, 2014 at 8:26 PM

You know that it’s not possible for a vehicle to be in charge of an organization, right? And you misspelled ‘bus’.

8. sportsfan18 - Aug 20, 2014 at 7:57 AM

Resident non-Kobe and non-Melo fan here…

I still don’t wish injuries on anyone, even the Mamba. He’s an all time great and I hope he’s able to play freely.

Father Time, coupled with injuries is tough to deal with.

At least Kobe’s drive to show he’s still “The Man” won’t really hurt the Lakers this season because they won’t be good… so Kobe may continue to jack up ill advised shot after ill advised shot…

9. loungefly74 - Aug 20, 2014 at 9:19 AM

how lucky am I as a Laker fan to have such a great player don the Purple n Gold…help bring 5 titles? Kobe is an all-time great. There is something special about a legend playing in your team’s uniform. I know Bulls fans can relate.

• jattsoorma - Aug 20, 2014 at 12:50 PM

yes we can, it was great having scottie pippen all of those years.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches