Aug 20, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
It was known that he wouldn’t start Wednesday night’s exhibition against the Dominican Republic at Madison Square Garden, but when it was officially time to make a decision on his playing time, Rose was held out of the game altogether, in order to get a look at some other players on the roster.
Derrick Rose will not play tonight. Staff wants to give him an extra day.
And now you seriously have to wonder how Rose will play 5 (or even 3) games in 6 days when the World Cup starts.
And from Marc Stein of ESPN.com:
This is being billed as a coach’s decision to give more of a look to other players as cuts approach. Kyrie Irving starts in place of Rose
DRose went through shootaround this morning with no issues and was said to be moving well. In uniform on the bench tonight but won’t play
There’s no need to push Rose at this stage of the summer, but his absence from both practices and now a game will certainly raise some questions about just how ready he is to return to the grind of professional basketball.
After missing just about all of the last two years for the Bulls, preparing for the rigors of the upcoming season should be Rose’s only priority. If he’s even the slightest bit bothered by the stress of training for this somewhat meaningless international tournament, he should probably recalibrate, and spend the rest of his summer getting the right combination of treatment and rest so that he can give his all to Chicago once October is upon us.
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 3
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 1
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 5
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 25
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1