Aug 20, 2014, 8:44 PM EST
It was known that he wouldn’t start Wednesday night’s exhibition against the Dominican Republic at Madison Square Garden, but when it was officially time to make a decision on his playing time, Rose was held out of the game altogether, in order to get a look at some other players on the roster.
Derrick Rose will not play tonight. Staff wants to give him an extra day.
And now you seriously have to wonder how Rose will play 5 (or even 3) games in 6 days when the World Cup starts.
And from Marc Stein of ESPN.com:
This is being billed as a coach’s decision to give more of a look to other players as cuts approach. Kyrie Irving starts in place of Rose
DRose went through shootaround this morning with no issues and was said to be moving well. In uniform on the bench tonight but won’t play
There’s no need to push Rose at this stage of the summer, but his absence from both practices and now a game will certainly raise some questions about just how ready he is to return to the grind of professional basketball.
After missing just about all of the last two years for the Bulls, preparing for the rigors of the upcoming season should be Rose’s only priority. If he’s even the slightest bit bothered by the stress of training for this somewhat meaningless international tournament, he should probably recalibrate, and spend the rest of his summer getting the right combination of treatment and rest so that he can give his all to Chicago once October is upon us.
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 9
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 24
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 4
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 7
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 6
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 3
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 11