Aug 20, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
Team USA had little trouble with the Dominican Republic on Wednesday, and cruised to a 105-62 victory even with Derrick Rose sidelined as a precaution.
Rose hasn’t practiced with the team since its victory over Brazil on Saturday, and was held out of this one after experiencing some soreness in his knees. He is, however, expected to return to practice tomorrow and play in Friday night’s exhibition against Puerto Rico.
Rose’s suddenly questionable status may see him added to the list of those being considered for the final roster cuts, but whether that’s the case or it isn’t, Mike Krzyzewski said that no decisions will be made on that front until after Friday night’s contest.
From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:
At his postgame presser, Coach K just announced that there will be no players cut before Friday’s game. So 16 make it to Thursday’s practice
Before Rose became questionable, four players would need to be dismissed from a group that includes DeMar DeRozan, Damian Lillard, Andre Drummond, Miles Plumlee, DeMarcus Cousins, Rudy Gay, and Gordon Hayward.
DeRozan, Drummond and Gay all shined at various points in Wednesday’s exhibition.
There are no easy decisions in terms of choosing who makes the final roster; all of these guys can play at an elite level, and it will simply come down to the personal preferences of Krzyzewski and Jerry Colangelo.
But for those feeling like they may be on the bubble, they’ll have at least one more day of practice and another exhibition game to show what they can do to remain on the roster.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50